102 replies to this topic

#16 Saif-ur-Rahman

Formerly "al-jabr"

• Brothers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,665 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 01:16 PM

All nighter's...
For study purposes: Keep yourself occupied with your studies / reading / revision, etc. If it's a cold night, keep a mug of hot chocolate, milk, tea or coffee besides you.
For seeking Lailat-ul-Qadr: Keep yourself active by reading Qur'an, offering
Nafl Prayers (Ta Hajjud, Salat-ul-Tawba and Salat-ul-Tasbih), engage in Dhikr of Allah (Remembrance of Allah), and make Dua.
And since there is no better way of praising Allah do Sujjud as Allah is most pleased with the one who is in Sujjud. (Can someone find a Hadith to accompany this, I've read this somewhere before but I cannot recall where).

Quick Note on Lailat-ul-Qadr Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said about Lailat-ul-Qadr:
"Anyone who stays awake during the Night of Power with belief (IMAAN) and for the pleasure of Allah, all his previous sins will be forgiven."
[Sahih Bukhari and Sahih Muslim]

It has also been reported by
the wife of the Prophet Muhammed (SAW), Aisha (RA):
"I asked the Messenger of Allah if I knew which night was the Night of Power and what Prayer I should say during that night? He said to me: Say: Allahumma innaka 'afu'wwun tuhibbul 'afwa fa'fu 'annee" 

The translation of this saying is "O Allah! You are most forgiving and you love to forgive, so forgive me".
We should endeavour to say this an many time as possible, especially when seeking Lailat-ul-Qadr on the odd nights of the last ten days of Ramadhan.

Edited by Saif-ur-Rahman, 04 October 2007 - 01:18 PM.

#17 Ibn As-Sabil

Traveller Of This World

• Brothers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,068 posts
  • Interests:watching paint dry

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:56 PM

View PostAamina, on Oct 4 2007, 08:54 AM, said:

Sitting in a bright lit room. Light resets your internal biological clock by releasing more seratonin which over rides the production of melatonin (reason for your sleepiness).

explains why i cant go to sleep sometimes, when i use pc at late night :rolleyes:

lots of caffenine usually does the traic

Edited by Rocky, 04 October 2007 - 07:57 PM.

#18 Mo3tasima

Formerly "RaS"

• Sisters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts
  • Interests:are under attack. May Allah swt allow us to witness the victory of Islam. Ameen

Posted 04 October 2007 - 08:03 PM

Assalam alaikum,

I tried almost half of the things mentioned and noticed that as long as you say "i feel tiered or im sleepy" you will be. sometimes you gotta lie to yourself and say "wow im wide awake n energetic!" or wateva. Our bodies are gullable.

All nighter's...
For study purposes: Keep yourself occupied with your studies / reading / revision, etc. If it's a cold night, keep a mug of hot chocolate, milk, tea or coffee besides you.
For seeking Lailat-ul-Qadr: Keep yourself active by reading Qur'an, offering Nafl Prayers (Ta Hajjud, Salat-ul-Tawba and Salat-ul-Tasbih), engage in Dhikr of Allah (Remembrance of Allah), and make Dua.
And since there is no better way of praising Allah do Sujjud as Allah is most pleased with the one who is in Sujjud. (Can someone find a Hadith to accompany this, I've read this somewhere before but I cannot recall where).

Really informative bro Saif-ur-Rahman. Jazak allahu kheir. thanks for the links!

*cough* where's the edited bit! wanted to quote it :P
Anyway unfortunately after having so much caffeine it will have no effect on the body as it adapts. hmmm

jazakum allahu kheir
wassalam
RaS

#19 Aamina

Comet

• Sisters
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,773 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 08:16 PM

Take a power nap of 20-30 minutes.

#20 Rehana

Pebble

• Sisters
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 08:22 PM

YES!! I stayed up ALL night last night, and survived :w00t:
And I think (inshaAllah) I did really well on my exam :D

So...yeah, i tried most of the things mentioned on this thread. Drank coffee, ate, did wudu with cold water, took breaks in the middle. Then slept for two hours in the morning :icon_smile_sonstige_60:

Edited by Rehana, 04 October 2007 - 08:24 PM.

#21 Ibn As-Sabil

Traveller Of This World

• Brothers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,068 posts
  • Interests:watching paint dry

Posted 04 October 2007 - 10:18 PM

View PostRaS, on Oct 4 2007, 09:03 PM, said:

*cough* where's the edited bit! wanted to quote it :P
Anyway unfortunately after having so much caffeine it will have no effect on the body as it adapts. hmmm

jazakum allahu kheir
wassalam
RaS

damn, i was hoping no one read that :blush:

#22 Bint Zakariya

Boulder

• Sisters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 11:13 PM

what seems to work with me is i get all of my my family over (those that are willing to stay up all night and dont have ill kids, lol) so we just sit there together either doing something together like discussing topics of islaam and studying something together, or we just sist there and read Qur'an (individually).

if i try to stay up while im on my own, then i am likely to fall asleep within an hour or so, lol...and besides, we should try to do acts of ibaadah in groups...as when we are in a group the wasswassa of the shaytaan is less likely to effect us. so when one person says 'im starting to feel sleepy' the other peson will (inshaAllah) say 'no lets stay awake' (well, something along those lines).

inshaAllah i have my sister and brother in law over, they just come now...and im trying to convince my other sister to come, but my niece is ill so i dont think she will be coming.

o, and if you dont have anyone to sit with and you have to stay on you own (for whatever reason) then get someone to call you every hour or hour and half...keep you awake, and mentally you will feel like your not up alone. we will be inshaAllah calling my sister (the one who wasnt able to come) every now and again so she doesnt fall asleep.

#23 Muharrir

Liberator

• Brothers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,227 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 02:35 AM

Yes, that power nap works too, like go hibernate in a corner :lol: I swear it works with some people (forget the corner), but if your really sleepy then it wont work, youll wake up 10 hours later thinking :blink: what happened there...?

#24 unknown

formerly 'known'

• Brothers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,772 posts
  • Interests:ANYTHING that will bring freedom and peace to the muslim ummah!

Posted 05 October 2007 - 09:01 AM

View Post::Aqsa::, on Oct 4 2007, 08:35 AM, said:

sleep during the day - get enough sleep .. and all the advices above ^ EXCEPT all the redbull rubbish, its downsides are more than it upsides! My brother had lots of problems because of drinking soo much V every night before his hsc exams :S

yes i found out the hard way. but as they say "no pain no gain". but i still have it once in a while, too addictive.

#25 Saif-ur-Rahman

Formerly "al-jabr"

• Brothers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,665 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 07:53 PM

Calling all Brothers in the UK...
Quoted from a Brothers Thread

I suggested to some of the brothers after Taraweeh that we should arrange another 7CGEN get together, but this time for the occasions of:

27th Ramadhan at East London Masjid, as they do an 'All-Nighter' - Isha until after Fajr.
29th Ramadhan to pray Taraweeh at Regents Park Masjid.

- We call onto you brothers, to come and seek Lailat-ul-Qadr with us of the 27th and 29th night of Ramadhan (but do not forget to seek the night of Lailat-ul-Qadr on the other odd nights; 21st, 23rd and the 25th).

- The purpose of this get-together is to call one another to Ibadah, and encourage one another to spent time in the path of Allah.

- Insha Allah, we will pray all 20 rakats of Taraweeh since we are goign to Masjids that pray 20 rakats, and we will try and use to opportunity to gain as much rewards as possible in the last few days of Ramadhan.

- And should we be fortunate enough to find Lailat-ul-Qadr on one of these nights, we will be rewarded with the equivalent 1000 months of Ibadah Insha Allah.

So who's in?

As-Salamu Alaikum,
Last night was the 25 night of Ramadhan, in the hope that it could be Lailat-ul-Qadr, I spent the whole night awake at Upton Lane Masjid, from Isha until Fajr. It was not as difficult as some people make out. I was not tired, not even the slightest bit. I came home at 6:30am, was awake until 7:00am, at approximately which time I feel asleep until 11:30am.

Tonight is the 26th night of Ramadhan, tomorrow Insha Allah will be the 27th night of Ramadhan, and majority of the Ulema believe that the 27th night is most likely to be the night of Lailat-ul-Qadr. So further to last night's experience, I call onto you brothers and I encourage you to join me at East London Masjid, tomorrow from Isha onwards, and let us do Ibadah in the hope that if it is Lailat-ul-Qadr, that Allah accepts our efforts, and rewards us with the full blessings of this night. And Insha Allah, if Allah accepts this from us on this night, then we would have attained the reward of more than 1000 months.

Why would we want to miss out on a chance like this?
1000 months is over 83 years, some of us may never even live that long. Just imagine the reward if our Ibadah, if our worship is accepted on just that one night.

What should we be doing on the night of Lailat-ul-Qadr?
If we haven't done so already, contact those people that we may have wronged or upset in the past year or so, make peace with them, ask them for their forgiveness. If we ourselves have been wronged by others, make the effort to contact them even if it is just to say Salam to them. Forgive them for the sake of Allah, and seek Allah's forgiveness in return.

It has also been reported by the wife of the Prophet Muhammed (SAW), Aisha (RA):
"I asked the Messenger of Allah if I knew which night was the Lailatul-Qadr and what should I say during that night? He, The Messenger of Allah (SAW) said: Say: Allahumma innaka 'afu'wwun tuhibbul 'afwa fa'fu 'annee"
[Tirmidhi]

The translation of the above saying is "O Allah! You are most forgiving and you love to forgive, so forgive me". So we should try to engage ourselves in the repetition of this Du'a when seeking Lailat-ul-Qadr on the odd nights in the last ten days of Ramadhan.

The other things we should be doing:
- We should stand in Qiyam, offering
Nafl Prayers such as Ta Hajjud, Salat-ul-Tawba and Salat-ul-Tasbih.
- We should be pre-occupied in
Dhikr of Allah (Remembrance of Allah) at every and reciting the Du'a stated above
- We should also refer to the holy book, Al-Qur'an.
- We should make Du'a, seeking refuge in Allah from the torment of the Hell fire, seeking his mercy, asking for his forgiveness, seeking his guidance.

It is said that you are most closest to Allah when you are in Sujjud, as Allah is most pleased with the one who prostrates to none other than Him, the All-Mighty. So on the night of ALailat-ul-Qadr, we should try to be close to Allah by spending time in Sujjud.

Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said about Lailat-ul-Qadr:
"Anyone who stays awake during the Night of Power with belief (IMAAN) and for the pleasure of Allah, all his previous sins will be forgiven."
"Whoever stands (in prayer) on the night of power with Iman and with hope of reward all his previous sins are forgiven."

Although this invitation is aimed at the brothers, it serves as a good reminder for all of us Insha Allah. Brothers that wish to come along to East London Masjid and Regents Park Masjid as highlight above, please reply to the original message in the brothers thread.

Please forgive me for my spamming, not usually my style, but this is a reminder which everyone can benefit from Insha Allah.

#26 Mo3tasima

Formerly "RaS"

• Sisters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts
  • Interests:are under attack. May Allah swt allow us to witness the victory of Islam. Ameen

Posted 07 October 2007 - 08:01 PM

^ jazakallahu khair simulatenously beneficial.

I guess in Sydney all mosques will be executing similar actions tomorrow inshallah (the 26th, night of the 27th). Lakemba mosque is usually the biggie inshallah.

ws
RaS

#27 $hortay

Stone

• Sisters
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:51 AM

View Postsista afsana, on Oct 4 2007, 06:48 AM, said:

Take a little nap when you are super tired and force yourself to wake up afterwards, which is way easier said than done, I know! I don't do the tea/coffee/caffeine stuff..it still puts me to sleep...cold shower...then you'll feel cold and wanna get in bed..best thing...hhm...hey you could call a friend who'll talk to you and keep you awake and then next ting you know you wont be tired for a while. ;)

w0rks for me ;)

#28 dairyn

Rock

• Sisters
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 12:27 PM

I pulled an all-nighter last night. Don't know how I did it since these past few nights I've been at the masjid. :P But I find that coffee works and keeping your "eyes on the prize". Making wudu helps...with extra cold water... :lol:

#29 -tawakkul-

old skool

• Sisters
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,656 posts
  • Interests:family and friends!

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:12 PM

View PostSaif-ur-Rahman, on Oct 7 2007, 08:53 PM, said:

Calling all Brothers in the UK...
Quoted from a Brothers Thread

I suggested to some of the brothers after Taraweeh that we should arrange another 7CGEN get together, but this time for the occasions of:

27th Ramadhan at East London Masjid, as they do an 'All-Nighter' - Isha until after Fajr.
29th Ramadhan to pray Taraweeh at Regents Park Masjid.

- We call onto you brothers, to come and seek Lailat-ul-Qadr with us of the 27th and 29th night of Ramadhan (but do not forget to seek the night of Lailat-ul-Qadr on the other odd nights; 21st, 23rd and the 25th).

- The purpose of this get-together is to call one another to Ibadah, and encourage one another to spent time in the path of Allah.

- Insha Allah, we will pray all 20 rakats of Taraweeh since we are goign to Masjids that pray 20 rakats, and we will try and use to opportunity to gain as much rewards as possible in the last few days of Ramadhan.

- And should we be fortunate enough to find Lailat-ul-Qadr on one of these nights, we will be rewarded with the equivalent 1000 months of Ibadah Insha Allah.

So who's in?

As-Salamu Alaikum,
Last night was the 25 night of Ramadhan, in the hope that it could be Lailat-ul-Qadr, I spent the whole night awake at Upton Lane Masjid, from Isha until Fajr. It was not as difficult as some people make out. I was not tired, not even the slightest bit. I came home at 6:30am, was awake until 7:00am, at approximately which time I feel asleep until 11:30am.

Tonight is the 26th night of Ramadhan, tomorrow Insha Allah will be the 27th night of Ramadhan, and majority of the Ulema believe that the 27th night is most likely to be the night of Lailat-ul-Qadr. So further to last night's experience, I call onto you brothers and I encourage you to join me at East London Masjid, tomorrow from Isha onwards, and let us do Ibadah in the hope that if it is Lailat-ul-Qadr, that Allah accepts our efforts, and rewards us with the full blessings of this night. And Insha Allah, if Allah accepts this from us on this night, then we would have attained the reward of more than 1000 months.

Why would we want to miss out on a chance like this?
1000 months is over 83 years, some of us may never even live that long. Just imagine the reward if our Ibadah, if our worship is accepted on just that one night.

What should we be doing on the night of Lailat-ul-Qadr?
If we haven't done so already, contact those people that we may have wronged or upset in the past year or so, make peace with them, ask them for their forgiveness. If we ourselves have been wronged by others, make the effort to contact them even if it is just to say Salam to them. Forgive them for the sake of Allah, and seek Allah's forgiveness in return.

It has also been reported by the wife of the Prophet Muhammed (SAW), Aisha (RA):
"I asked the Messenger of Allah if I knew which night was the Lailatul-Qadr and what should I say during that night? He, The Messenger of Allah (SAW) said: Say: Allahumma innaka 'afu'wwun tuhibbul 'afwa fa'fu 'annee"
[Tirmidhi]

The translation of the above saying is "O Allah! You are most forgiving and you love to forgive, so forgive me". So we should try to engage ourselves in the repetition of this Du'a when seeking Lailat-ul-Qadr on the odd nights in the last ten days of Ramadhan.

The other things we should be doing:
- We should stand in Qiyam, offering
Nafl Prayers such as Ta Hajjud, Salat-ul-Tawba and Salat-ul-Tasbih.
- We should be pre-occupied in
Dhikr of Allah (Remembrance of Allah) at every and reciting the Du'a stated above
- We should also refer to the holy book, Al-Qur'an.
- We should make Du'a, seeking refuge in Allah from the torment of the Hell fire, seeking his mercy, asking for his forgiveness, seeking his guidance.

It is said that you are most closest to Allah when you are in Sujjud, as Allah is most pleased with the one who prostrates to none other than Him, the All-Mighty. So on the night of ALailat-ul-Qadr, we should try to be close to Allah by spending time in Sujjud.

Prophet Muhammad (SAW) said about Lailat-ul-Qadr:
"Whoever stands (in prayer) on the night of power with Iman and with hope of reward all his previous sins are forgiven."

Although this invitation is aimed at the brothers, it serves as a good reminder for all of us Insha Allah. Brothers that wish to come along to East London Masjid and Regents Park Masjid as highlight above, please reply to the original message in the brothers thread.

Please forgive me for my spamming, not usually my style, but this is a reminder which everyone can benefit from Insha Allah.

:jazakAllah: for this post brother, may Allah SWT reward you and may we all benefit from it Inshallah.

#30 Abu Abok

Formerly "Anonymous" (now father of your father)

• Brothers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,012 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:42 PM

salam

how to stay awake ok simple you force your self to stay awake i.e. occupiey your self, then sleep at like 8-9 in the morning then u should get used to it after 2 to 3 days

salam
doc. Deathdealer (dont let the name fool ya)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Original Skin by CrustyGeek/ReSkinned by Dumbledore for TPPSkinning.com

All communications made available as part of this forum and any opinions, advice, statements, views or other information expressed are solely provided by, and the responsibility of, the person posting such communication and not of 7cgen.com or any of it's administration team. Click here for full disclaimer.