Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home3/c7gen/public_html/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_20/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/c7gen/public_html/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_20/skin_topic.php:909) in /home3/c7gen/public_html/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 110

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/c7gen/public_html/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_20/skin_topic.php:909) in /home3/c7gen/public_html/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127
Genetics - 7th Century Generation

Genetics

5 replies to this topic

#1 CorruptLeader

Formerly "Transition?"

• Sisters
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 06:49 AM

:salam:

Help me with my Genetics problems please?!

Does anyone know the minute details of chromosomal linkage and the statistics involved in mutations and crossovers?

#2 CorruptLeader

Formerly "Transition?"

• Sisters
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 06:58 AM

:[.

#3 al-ghareebah

Boulder

• Sisters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:27 AM

Wa-alaikum assalam,

View PostTransition?, on Mar 19 2010, 05:49 AM, said:

:salam:

Help me with my Genetics problems please?!

Does anyone know the minute details of chromosomal linkage and the statistics involved in mutations and crossovers?

I'm slightly out of touch with the topic but if you could be a bit more specific, I may be able to help you out? (And so could Wiki for that matter :D)

- You're talking about genetic disorders arising from mutations? (Crossover is a form of mutation from what I remember)

What do you need to know exactly?

#4 CorruptLeader

Formerly "Transition?"

• Sisters
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:41 AM

Yeah but it's like O_O, determining the map units/frequency at which cross overs happen.

The genes a, b, and c are on the chromosome arm in Neurospara crassa. The following ordered asci were obtained from teh cross a b + X + + c

45 .... 5 .... 150.... 1 ....10...... 20 .....11....... 58
ab+ ab+ ab+ ab+ ab+ ab+ ab+ ab+
+bc a++ ab+ +++ a+c ++c abc +b+
a++ +bc ++c abc +b+ ab+ +++ a+c
++c ++c ++c ++c ++c ++c ++c ++c

Determine the correct gene order, gene-gene distance, gene to centromere distance

It's a mixed asci + triple linkage problem

What I can't do is figure out which allele goes in the middle, I rationalized it to be acb, but I'm not sure if that's right.

:/
I could easily figure it out but when it comes to ascii/crossover frequency, you have to take into account tetratypes, nonparent ditypes :[. I have no clue how to use the asci equations and apply it to O_O this.

Edited by Transition?, 19 March 2010 - 08:48 AM.

#5 CorruptLeader

Formerly "Transition?"

• Sisters
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:59 AM

UGH @ this formatting -_-.

Edited by Transition?, 19 March 2010 - 09:07 AM.

#6 al-ghareebah

Boulder

• Sisters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:01 PM

View PostTransition?, on Mar 19 2010, 07:41 AM, said:

Yeah but it's like O_O, determining the map units/frequency at which cross overs happen.

The genes a, b, and c are on the chromosome arm in Neurospara crassa. The following ordered asci were obtained from teh cross a b + X + + c

45 .... 5 .... 150.... 1 ....10...... 20 .....11....... 58
ab+ ab+ ab+ ab+ ab+ ab+ ab+ ab+
+bc a++ ab+ +++ a+c ++c abc +b+
a++ +bc ++c abc +b+ ab+ +++ a+c
++c ++c ++c ++c ++c ++c ++c ++c

Determine the correct gene order, gene-gene distance, gene to centromere distance

It's a mixed asci + triple linkage problem

What I can't do is figure out which allele goes in the middle, I rationalized it to be acb, but I'm not sure if that's right.

:/
I could easily figure it out but when it comes to ascii/crossover frequency, you have to take into account tetratypes, nonparent ditypes :[. I have no clue how to use the asci equations and apply it to O_O this.

Yikes. Apologies sis, I've never had to calculate the distances between genes or centromers and stuff ..never had to make use of equations related to such minute detail.

Its truly beyond me :blink:

Wish I could have been of assistance, may Allaah clarify things for you Ameen!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Original Skin by CrustyGeek/ReSkinned by Dumbledore for TPPSkinning.com

All communications made available as part of this forum and any opinions, advice, statements, views or other information expressed are solely provided by, and the responsibility of, the person posting such communication and not of 7cgen.com or any of it's administration team. Click here for full disclaimer.