Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home3/c7gen/public_html/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_20/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/c7gen/public_html/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_20/skin_topic.php:909) in /home3/c7gen/public_html/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/c7gen/public_html/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_20/skin_topic.php:909) in /home3/c7gen/public_html/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127
SO....WHERE ARE OUR ACADEMICS!? - 7th Century Generation

SO....WHERE ARE OUR ACADEMICS!?

4 replies to this topic

#1 FragileVessels

Um Maryam(Wafiyyah)

• Sisters
  • PipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:17 AM

Assalamalaikum,

SO youve enrolled yourself in secular education. You want the best of akhira but you are so bogged down in your studies that well for the next 3 years of your degree you are hoping you wont die and you think allah will accept your rushed prayers, haphhazard duas - relating only studies btw and not the best of akhira, you spent all of last ramadan studying some subject that has not benefit for this world nor for the next but only a tiny proportion of your studies. You are hoping somehow allah is not watching you waste your duniya away and that you will make up for all this lost time after your degree ends.........and you know you are lying because the first thing you are going to do is get married as soon as the graduation party is over and starting sprouting more humans and you will be so lost in feeding these new mouths that your whole duniya is destroyed and so is your akhira.

SO WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO???

I dont know how much of this applies to you, but it sure is applying to me at the moment. So here is what I am doing, (I have 2 assignments due therefore my post is so rushed but inshallah i will fix this later, maybe).

As I study, I am keeping an ISLAM FOCUSED perspective. No matter what subject. Inshallah I will be using this thread to apply everything I have learnt in the secular world and apply it here in the islamic world. Perhaps some other academic will pick it up and make something useful of it.

So basically for every uni essay I make notes for I am also keeping an islamic note page. Microsoft OneNote is pretty good for this. And inshallah if I have time, making an islamic essay on the same topic.

Feel free to contribute your essays, research, finding, uni notes or anything academic that might be useful for islam. INSHALLAH.

#2 FragileVessels

Um Maryam(Wafiyyah)

• Sisters
  • PipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:22 AM

SUBJECT: ARTS
WRITER: Herber J Gans.
WHAT: He has writen a piece on Popular culture.
WHAT HAS IT GOT TO DO WITH US: An understanding of popular culture, the coming of dajjal, ya'juj and ma'juj, the power of hollywood, americanisation, the power of feminism, capitalism
HOW WILL IT HELP US: will return to this post later after assignments are submitted inshallah.
PREREQUSITE/RELATED MATERIAL: Imran Hossien's work on dajjal and the end times.

Im having trouble attaching it, but here is the reference inshallah.

Gans, Herbert J. "The critique of mass culture (extract)" in Popular Culture and High Culture: An Analysis and Evolution of Taste , Gans, Herbert J. , 1999 , 64-77

Edited by FragileVessels, 01 January 2011 - 03:53 AM.

#3 -tawakkul-

old skool

• Sisters
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,656 posts
  • Interests:family and friends!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:24 AM

walaykumsalaams

yeh that's a good idea...but my personal opinion is that you need to balance your time... jus coz ur studying doesn't necessarily mean you have to neglect your islamic studies or duties....to be honest i find it easier to pursue islamic studies whilst studying at uni because i feel i have more free time available, when your working 9-5pm that's more when you feel like you don't have time for anything! it really depends on the individual and their reality. i think it's unfair to say that uni students are neglecting their islamic studies because they are pursuing secular education. i've actually heard of a brother who memorised the whole Qur'an whilst he was at uni, and he mainly did his memorisation on his way to uni and back on the bus...so yeh..anythings possible by Allah's Grace! :)

#4 Saqr

Rock

• Brothers
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Interests:Practicing Islam

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:52 AM

I just finished my Hons B.A in Political Science & Economics, will Insh'Allah start my Masters and Law degrees starting September...but I've tried to balance as much as possible by also learning Arabic, studying aspects of fiqh, tafasir of Quran & ahadith, etc. I am to trying acquire knowledge necessary for me to continue my objectives, and hence am quite focused in what I study and not study.

Some works which will help you understand how today's world...

Repressive Tolerance by Herbert Marcuse...one of my 'favourites' ...an ex-CIA official discusses why the U.S is so screwed up and why revolutions are necessary. A good way to learn why the West isn't designed to tolerate others and why it can be oppressive to minorities - especially minorities who identify themselves based on ideas and beliefs.

C.B Macpherson...again offers a critical understanding of Western political and economic ideology and practice...why it is messed up.
  • The Political Theory of Possessive Individualism: From Hobbes to Locke (1962)
  • The Real World of Democracy (1965)
Some others...I'll explain if someone is interested...
  • Brown, Wendy. "American Nightmare:Neoliberalism, Neoconservatism and De-Democratization." Political Theory 34:6. (2006): 690-714..

• Morrice, David. "C.B Macpherson's Critique of Liberal Democracy and Capitalism." Political Studies 42:4 (1994): 646-661.

• Robinson, Andrew. "Towards an Intellectual Reformation: The Critique of Common Sense and the Forgotten Revolutionary Project of Gramscian Theory." Critical Review of International Social and Political Philosophy. 8:4 (2005):469-581.

• Rupert, Mark. "Reading Gramsci in an Era of Globalising Capitalism." Critical Review of International Social and Political Philosophy. 8:4 (2005):483-497.

Edited by Saqr, 14 May 2011 - 09:05 AM.

#5 Al-Siddiq

Comet

• Brothers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:05 AM

View PostSaqr, on 14 May 2011 - 08:52 AM, said:

I just finished my Hons B.A in Political Science & Economics, will Insh'Allah start my Masters and Law degrees starting September...but I've tried to balance as much as possible by also learning Arabic, studying aspects of fiqh, tafasir of Quran & ahadith, etc. I am to trying acquire knowledge necessary for me to continue my objectives, and hence am quite focused in what I study and not study.

Some works which will help you understand how today's world...

Repressive Tolerance by Herbert Marcuse...one of my 'favourites' ...an ex-CIA official discusses why the U.S is so screwed up and why revolutions are necessary. A good way to learn why the West isn't designed to tolerate others and why it can be oppressive to minorities - especially minorities who identify themselves based on ideas and beliefs.

C.B Macpherson...again offers a critical understanding of Western political and economic ideology and practice...why it is messed up.
  • The Political Theory of Possessive Individualism: From Hobbes to Locke (1962)
  • The Real World of Democracy (1965)
Some others...I'll explain if someone is interested...
  • Brown, Wendy. "American Nightmare:Neoliberalism, Neoconservatism and De-Democratization." Political Theory 34:6. (2006): 690-714..

• Morrice, David. "C.B Macpherson's Critique of Liberal Democracy and Capitalism." Political Studies 42:4 (1994): 646-661.

• Robinson, Andrew. "Towards an Intellectual Reformation: The Critique of Common Sense and the Forgotten Revolutionary Project of Gramscian Theory." Critical Review of International Social and Political Philosophy. 8:4 (2005):469-581.

• Rupert, Mark. "Reading Gramsci in an Era of Globalising Capitalism." Critical Review of International Social and Political Philosophy. 8:4 (2005):483-497.

Propaganda by Berneys is also an excellent book!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Original Skin by CrustyGeek/ReSkinned by Dumbledore for TPPSkinning.com

All communications made available as part of this forum and any opinions, advice, statements, views or other information expressed are solely provided by, and the responsibility of, the person posting such communication and not of 7cgen.com or any of it's administration team. Click here for full disclaimer.