Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home3/c7gen/public_html/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_20/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/c7gen/public_html/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_20/skin_topic.php:909) in /home3/c7gen/public_html/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/c7gen/public_html/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_20/skin_topic.php:909) in /home3/c7gen/public_html/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127
Preparation for ramadan - 7th Century Generation

Preparation for ramadan

32 replies to this topic

#1 Salaam

Official Rebel Leader of BoB

• Brothers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,881 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:49 PM

:salam:

It was from the traditions of the sahaba that they would prepare for Ramadan six months in advance. They would pray to Allah for forgiveness, and pray that Ramadan would arrive in a time where they were at the peak of iman. For five months after the completion of Ramadan, the sahaba would ask Allah to accept their deeds.

We are less then 6 months away from ramadan and the preperation shouldve started a week ago, so were a week late but not too big of a loss.

Preparation for Ramadan (which is coming in about 6 months) begins now. Too often we put it off to the very end and the result is a mediocre Ramadan year after year. Ramadan contains the 10 best nights of the year – including the biggest and most blessed night of the year (Laytul Qadr), rewards are multiplied many-fold during this blessed month, the gates of paradise are opened and the devils are chained. All of this makes worship easy and tremendously rewarding. So it is critical that we prepare for Ramadan to extract the maximum benefit out of it.

The most important aspect of a successful, fruitful Ramadan is the Qur’an. This is because Allah says, “The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Qur’an, a guidance for mankind and clear proofs for the guidance and the criterion between right and wrong” (2:185, translation from the Noble Qur’an). The guidance for mankind was revealed by the Lord of mankind in Ramadan. What’s the connection between the Qur’an, Ramadan and the guidance from the Qur’an? The answer – and Allah only knows best – is that the guidance of the Qur’an is best received in Ramadan. Thus, in Ramadan, it is essential that we ponder over the Qur’an as we listen to it, reflect over it, recite it and memorize it so that we can receive its guidance and the furqan (the criterion between right and wrong).

To achieve this in the up-coming Ramadan, here are a few tried-and-tested suggestions from yours truly:

1) Understanding. If you don’t understand the Qur’an without a translation, then you must begin a course/curriculum* today that will enable you to do so within the next 2-3 years. Then you’ll notice how much benefit you get out of taraweeh and qiyam prayers each successive Ramadan. Understanding the Qur’an in its original text without the crutch of a translation is the key to pondering over the Qur’an and reflecting over it.

2) Recitation. If you are not used to reading the Qur’an, come Ramadan time you will get tired of it very quickly. So, you must start reciting a page or two daily from today so when Ramadan comes, you are ready to read the Qur’an for longer periods of time. Moreover, this consistency will, insha Allah, carry over after Ramadan and become a beautiful habit.

These two are essential. The next two are important but not as important as the above two.

3) Memorization. There is a special sweetness in long prayers during Ramadan. Thus, aim to memorize something significant before Ramadan comes in (e.g. Surah Baqarah) so you can enjoy your prayers more.

4) Arrangements. Make logistical arrangements (e.g. building up a vacation, booking time-off, etc.) for i’tikaaf so you can benefit to the max in the last ten days.

It is famously quoted that our predecessors in faith used to pray to Allah 6 months to accept their previous Ramadan, and 6 months to see the next one. This preparation for Ramadan is a legacy of our predecessors in faith and upholding it will allow us to see results in Ramadan like never before. The crux, core of this preparation in getting ready to understand the Qur’an. Without it, the next Ramadan will be another run-of-the-mill Ramadan.

Everyone fasts and prays during Ramadan, most people give charity, but how few cry in prayers, over-whelmed by the Qur’an. Allah says, “The believers are only those who, when Allah is mentioned, feel a fear in their hearts and when His Verses (this Quran) are recited unto them, they (i.e. the Verses) increase their Faith; and they put their trust in their Lord (Alone)” (8:2, translation from the Noble Qur’an).

We ask Allah to make us of those mentioned above, ameen.

#2 islam_mydeen

Formerly "born n die - alone"

• Sisters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts
  • Interests:making you smile =)

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:30 PM

Jazakallahu Kheir

maybe we could do something as a forum for ramadan prep starting from now?
pre-ramadan khatams is the only thing i can think of.. like the way we do every ramadan.

did it on another forum a month before ramadan, that went well Alhamdulillah..
tried to continue after ramadan and that died after a few months..

#3 Abu Abdul Rahman

Rock

• Brothers
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:10 AM

BarakAllah Feek!! Excellent advice bro, I noticed that last year's ramadhan came so suddenly for me I didnt enjoy it as much as before, inshaAllah preparation for this year's will make it alot more memorable and fruitful :D.

Edited by Abu Abdul Rahman, 08 February 2011 - 08:19 AM.

#4 Abu Abdul Rahman

Rock

• Brothers
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:12 AM

View Postislam_mydeen, on 07 February 2011 - 01:30 PM, said:

Jazakallahu Kheir

maybe we could do something as a forum for ramadan prep starting from now?
pre-ramadan khatams is the only thing i can think of.. like the way we do every ramadan.

did it on another forum a month before ramadan, that went well Alhamdulillah..
tried to continue after ramadan and that died after a few months..

How dId you guys read Qur'an together on the forum before? Sorry I'm new to this but I'm interested nonetheless :P

Edited by Abu Abdul Rahman, 08 February 2011 - 08:13 AM.

#5 islam_mydeen

• Sisters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:01 AM

well there's a list. and everyone chooses a juz or more and you read and you confirm you've done it..

#6 Salaam

• Brothers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,881 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:24 PM

One thing we can do is first check when the suhr is and when we have to break the fast, and see waht we may be doing during that time of the year and make a timetable of when and what were gonna do, such as what time are gonna read the quran and for how long and see if it will clash with anything you may have to do like if theirs any specific day where you go shopping in my case saturdays we usually do the shopping for the house in the morning so think how to you can deal with these things.

#7 islam_mydeen

• Sisters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:47 PM

for me, school is throughout like the whole of Ramadan (except weekends). my other stuff i can shift around and all, but school is just sitting there taking a big chunk outta the middle of my day for 5 days a week -.- how to get around that.. *thinks*

#8 Skooch

Why am I so different? :'(

• 5I5t3R 5PY CRU y0!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,479 posts
  • Interests:quraan, soccer, tennis, swimming,

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:07 PM

half of ramadhan will be in holidays i think

#9 islam_mydeen

• Sisters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:14 PM

not for us. holidays for us will be like a week or two after eid.

#10 Salaam

• Brothers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,881 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:22 PM

View Postislam_mydeen, on 08 February 2011 - 12:47 PM, said:

for me, school is throughout like the whole of Ramadan (except weekends). my other stuff i can shift around and all, but school is just sitting there taking a big chunk outta the middle of my day for 5 days a week -.- how to get around that.. *thinks*

use lunch time to do things and are days long or short from where your from, here its gonna be long

#11 Rain

Formerly "Bint Muhammad"

• Sisters
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:27 PM

Here ramadhaan is going to be in the summer :|

#12 islam_mydeen

• Sisters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:29 PM

View PostSalaam, on 08 February 2011 - 08:22 PM, said:

View Postislam_mydeen, on 08 February 2011 - 12:47 PM, said:

use lunch time to do things and are days long or short from where your from, here its gonna be long

kinda short.. its going be winter for us. i guess lunchtimes can be used to finish homework so more time to do other stuff after school..

#13 Salaam

• Brothers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,881 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:31 AM

short days ramadan was in secondary school, it would finish at 3:50, school finished at 3:15, by the time i got home it was about 3:40 so couldnt do much

#14 islam_mydeen

• Sisters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:50 AM

man.. why can't skipping school for a month be an option -.-

#15 Abu Abdul Rahman

Rock

• Brothers
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:06 AM

I start uni as soon as ramdhan starts :( . But alhamdulilah there's a big mosque inside the university itself so I should have no problem with praying taraweeh and iktikaf.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Original Skin by CrustyGeek/ReSkinned by Dumbledore for TPPSkinning.com

All communications made available as part of this forum and any opinions, advice, statements, views or other information expressed are solely provided by, and the responsibility of, the person posting such communication and not of 7cgen.com or any of it's administration team. Click here for full disclaimer.