Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home3/c7gen/public_html/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_20/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/c7gen/public_html/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_20/skin_topic.php:909) in /home3/c7gen/public_html/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/c7gen/public_html/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_20/skin_topic.php:909) in /home3/c7gen/public_html/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127
Provisions for the Hereafter - 7th Century Generation

Provisions for the Hereafter

66 replies to this topic

#1 Rajiyat al Firdaws

Rock

• Sisters
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:09 PM

Bismillah,

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullah
Posted Image
You guys have chosen the book 'Zaad al ma'ad' by imam ibnul qayyim.

Please download the book here if you haven't already done so.

As per previous instructions, we will be giving you the reading material based on installments every 2 weeks.

For week 1 you will be required to read up to page 13 (page 28 on the book's page).

Our starting date is April, 19th and our deadline will be May 2nd.

You will receive a set of questions related to the material you read during week 1 in your inbox on the first of May bi idhnillah. You will have 3 days to answer the questions and send them back to the 7cgen administrator account.

This thread will serve as a discussion thread for the entire book. So feel free to drop your thoughts, elaborate on points and add on to the material with concise external sources.

Note that this thread is for members of group 1 only. All posts by non group members will be removed.

We ask Allah to grant us knowledge that benefits, and protect us from knowledge which does not benefit, ameen.

Happy reading :)

Wassalamu alaikum

#2 Abu Abdul Rahman

Rock

• Brothers
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:23 PM

Assalamualaikum,
I will be for two weeks starting Thursday because I'm going to visit my father's relatives in the countryside and I wont have internet access.

So inshaAllah, I will be back in Week 3, I will continue to read until pg. 84 before i come back

#3 Rajiyat al Firdaws

Rock

• Sisters
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:27 PM

Wa alaikum assalam,

Ok inshallah. Barakallahufeek for informing us in advanced

#4 Rajiyat al Firdaws

Rock

• Sisters
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:47 AM

Assalamu alaikum,

Just letting you all know that sis mu'mina and brother abu muhammad will take over the initiative temporarily as i will be away for a while. but inshallah i will see back to this initiative as soon as im back and have access to the net.

I better not come back to find a thread funeral taking place! Keep it active for ilm sake, and most importantly, for Allah's sake!

#5 Mo3tasima

Formerly "RaS"

• Sisters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts
  • Interests:are under attack. May Allah swt allow us to witness the victory of Islam. Ameen

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:34 AM

^ May Allah swt be with you Bint Qayyim :)

So Zaad al maad ay? What do you guys know about this book?

Zaad almaad in its original form is a massive 5 volume arabic book - and part of this book is a chapter called "Healing with the Medicine of the Prophet" (which we are all used to seeing as a single green book). What we have here is a mukhtasar i.e. summary of the original. Anyways, the amazing this is imam ibn AlQayyam (rahimahu allah) wrote this from memory during a hajj journey from Damascus to Makkah... despite being far from his resources and also enduring the hardships of travel. Truly, a blessing from Allah swt...

Bismillah, lets begin!

Edited by Mo3tasima, 20 April 2011 - 08:52 AM.

#6 ghazala

Comet

• Sisters
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:29 AM

Posted Image

"Allah knows best with whom to place His Message."

Sarah A1-An'am 6:124

subhanAllah <3 it ......

#7 ghazala

Comet

• Sisters
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:41 AM

d it is reported in 'Musnad Al-Bazzar , in the Hadeeth of

Abu Ad-Darda'

"Verily, Allah, Most Glorified, Most High said to

Jesus the son of Mary:

"I will send after you a people who, when somethingwhich they like comes to them, praise Allah and thank Him

and

if
something they dislike afflicts them, they hope for a reward (from Allah) and they patiently persevere without gentleness or knowledge"

He (Jesus ['Isa a]) said:

"Oh, Lord! How can they be without gentleness or knowledge?"

He said: "I give them from My Gentleness and My Knowledge."

subhanAllah

#8 Mu'mina

la ilaha illa Allah <3

• Sister Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,743 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:31 PM

Barak Allahu feeki Ghazala.

Zaad almaad in its original form is a massive 5 volume arabic book - and part of this book is a chapter called "Healing with the Medicine of the Prophet" (which we are all used to seeing as a single green book). What we have here is a mukhtasar i.e. summary of the original. Anyways, the amazing this is imam ibn AlQayyam (rahimahu allah) wrote this from memory during a hajj journey from Damascus to Makkah... despite being far from his resources and also enduring the hardships of travel. Truly, a blessing from Allah swt...

That's amazing, subhan Allah. Jazaki Allah khayr for sharing ukhti.

#9 islam_mydeen

Formerly "born n die - alone"

• Sisters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts
  • Interests:making you smile =)

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:51 AM

Assalam Alaykum,

since this be like quite.. might put my 2 cents in.. more like 0.5 cents.. anyways.

was like wondering today... in the first chapter, it talks about evil and good.. what is evil and good? not like good is good and evil is bad.. i know my wording is always like messed up. but like i mean.. like is good and evil in humans, are they traits or qualities or natural instincts or what?

and then i did a lil bit more wondering... and like i don't know what i think.. but i reckon good would be a natural instinct because good comes from a person's fitrah right? and MOST people have good to some extent. but evil be from shaytan. so it's not natural. what is it? does it become a trait or what? i thinketh-ish im confusing people and i think i confused myself even more..

#10 al-ghareebah

Boulder

• Sisters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 02:13 PM

^ Abusing the english language with your excessive use of the word 'like' doesn't enhance anyones understanding of what you just tried to convey ..=)

Have another go if you want, but this time try to make it coherent, perhaps use bullet points, it might help seperate your ideas.

Wa-alaykum assalam

#11 islam_mydeen

• Sisters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 02:31 PM

my bad. i use that word a lot. even when i talk, i say like every 5 seconds.

okay lets try again. without saying like. okay Bismillah.

what i was saying was... you know how the first chapter talks about how there is evil and good yeah.. well, the good and evil in humans, what are they? like are they characteristics, traits, natural instincts qualities or what?

im not sure.. but i was thinking.. that..

- the good in humans would most likely be a natural instinct because good comes from a person's fitrah. yeah?
- people are not born evil. evil comes from shaytan yeah. so what would evil be? it's not natural.. what is it?

#12 al-ghareebah

Boulder

• Sisters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:23 AM

Now I'll try giving my thoughts without using the word 'innit' not once..

View Postislam_mydeen, on 24 April 2011 - 02:31 PM, said:

what i was saying was... you know how the first chapter talks about how there is evil and good yeah.. well, the good and evil in humans, what are they? like are they characteristics, traits, natural instincts qualities or what?

Not quite sure I understand what you mean. Charactersitics/traits/qualities all means the same thing by definition.

- the good in humans would most likely be a natural instinct because good comes from a person's fitrah. yeah?

I guess so yes.

- people are not born evil. evil comes from shaytan yeah. so what would evil be? it's not natural.. what is it?

Read up on the nafs.

Shaytaan invites towards evil and we know someday he will say ‘Blame only yourselves’ because the human being responds to the invite and commits evil. This response comes from an uncontrolled/rebellious nafs, a nafs which is accustomed to having its whims and desires satisfied through easy looking but impermissible means (sin/evil). The only solution for a rebellious nafs is purification either in this life, or in the Aakhirah by Hell fire.

Allaahu'alam if I addressed your point at all but I will say, tazkiyyah is an important but much neglected and misunderstood aspect of the deen.

Wa-alaykum salaam

#13 islam_mydeen

• Sisters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,335 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:54 AM

i went and read chapter 12 of Purification of the Soul - the states of self. and i think i get it now.. sorta-ish..

but there is two types of people.
1. "those whose nafs have overcome them and led them to ruin because they yeilded to them and obeyed their impulses"
2. "the other kind are those who have overcome their nafs and made them obey their commands".

and there are three states of self
1. the self at peace (an-nafs al-mutma'inna)
2. the reproachful self (an-nafs al-lawwamma)
3. the self that urges evil. (an-nafs al-ammara)

so evil is simply a state of self. i think.. right? i think i was confuzlling myself by thinking it was more than that..

i think i get it now..

- the self at peace is the people who have overcome their nafs. in the book (zad al-ma'ad) they're refered to as good.

- the self that urges evil is the people whose nafs have overcome them and led them to ruin, and they are refered to as evil in the book.

- and the reproachful self is someone who can not rest in one state. and in the book when it says "And there might be two components in a man (ie. good and evil), so whichever of them is preponderant, he belongs to its people ... " yeah that refers to the reproachful self.

i think...

#14 Mu'mina

la ilaha illa Allah <3

• Sister Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,743 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:09 AM

Allah Has Accorded to Himself Goodness

And what is meant by this is that Allah, Most Glorified has chosen from every race the best of it and accorded it to himself, for He, Most Glorified, Most High does not love anything except that which is good and He does not accept words, deeds or charity except those which are good.

And from this the signs of the slave's happiness and wretchedness are known, for nothing suits the good person except that which is good and he does not accept anything except it, nor does he feel at ease except with it, nor is his heart at rest except with it.

He speaks good words which are the only words that ascend to Allah and he is the most averse to obscene words, lying, backbiting, talebearing, slander, false testimony and every kind of evil speech.

Similarly, he does not like any deeds except the best of them — and they are those upon whose goodness sound natural instincts are agreed, along with the Prophetic Laws and which are attested to by rational minds, such as his worshipping Allah, Alone, without partners and preferring His Pleasure to his own whims and desires and draws closer to Allah due to his striving and he behaves towards His creation in the best way he can, treating them as he would like them to treat him.

His traits of character are the best, such as gentleness, dignity, patience, compassion, loyalty, honesty, a true heart, modesty and he protects his countenance from surrender or humility towards anyone besides Allah

Likewise, he does not choose any but the best and purest of foods, which are those that are lawful and wholesome and nourish the body. Nor does he select except the best of women as a wife, nor as friends and companions except those who are good. Such a person is one of those of whom Allah said:

"Those whose lives the angels take while they are in a pious state (i.e. pure from all evil, and worshipping none but Allah Alone) saying (to them): "Salamun 'Alaikum (peace be on you) enter you Paradise, because of that (the good) which you used to do (in the world)." (Quran 16:32)

—and to whom the guardians of Paradise say:

"Salamun 'Alaikum (peace be upon you)! You have done well, so enter here to abide therein forever." (Quran 39:73)

And the use of the letter (Fa') in the Verse implies causality, i.e. because of your good deeds, enter it. And Allah, Most High says:

"Bad statements are for bad people (or bad women for bad men) and bad people for bad statements (or bad men for bad women). Good statements are for good people (or good women for good men) and good people for good statements (or good men for good women): such (good people) are innocent of (every) bad statement which they say; for them is forgiveness, and Rizqun Kanm (generous provision, i.e. Paradise)." (Quran 24:26)

This Verse has been explained as meaning that evil words belong to evil people and good words belong to good people. It has also been explained as meaning that good women are for good men and vice versa and (in fact,) it includes this meaning and others. And Allah, Most Glorified has placed all manner of good in Paradise due to and all manner of evil in the Fire, so the former is an abode which was chosen for good, while the latter is an abode which was chosen for evil. And there is an abode in which good and evil are mixed and that is this abode (i.e. the life of this world). So when the Appointed Day comes, Allah will distinguish between the evil and the good and then the matter will rest upon two abodes only.

And what is meant is that Allah has made signs for the wretchedness and happiness by which they are known. And there might be two components in a man (i.e. good and evil), so whichever of them is preponderant, he belongs to its people; so if Allah wishes good for His slave, He will purify him before death and he will not require cleansing by the Fire. The Wisdom of Him, Most High rejects that He should make the slave to be accompanied in his abode by his evil deeds and so He places him in the Fire in order to cleanse him of sins. And the time for which he will remain in the Fire is dependent upon the rapidity or slowness with which the sins are removed.

But since the polytheist is evil by nature, the Fire does not cleanse him, just as if a dog enters the sea (it is not cleansed), while because the Believer is free from sins, the Fire is forbidden to him, since there is nothing in him which necessitates cleansing; so Glorified be He Whose Wisdom overwhelms the minds.

[Zaad al ma'ad 16-18]

Subhan Allah. This is beautiful.

#15 Mo3tasima

Formerly "RaS"

• Sisters
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts
  • Interests:are under attack. May Allah swt allow us to witness the victory of Islam. Ameen

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:03 AM

Im wondering if the two duas mentioned "Wajahtu wajhi.... Allahumma ba3id bayni wa bayna khatayaaya..." (pg 23) and "Allahumma anta almaliku la ilaha illa anta" are read before takbirat alihram or after takbirat alihram. The book says 'He used to begin the prayer by supplicating.. '

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Original Skin by CrustyGeek/ReSkinned by Dumbledore for TPPSkinning.com

All communications made available as part of this forum and any opinions, advice, statements, views or other information expressed are solely provided by, and the responsibility of, the person posting such communication and not of 7cgen.com or any of it's administration team. Click here for full disclaimer.