Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home3/c7gen/public_html/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_20/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/c7gen/public_html/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_20/skin_topic.php:909) in /home3/c7gen/public_html/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/c7gen/public_html/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_20/skin_topic.php:909) in /home3/c7gen/public_html/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127
refuting milad un nabi - 7th Century Generation

refuting milad un nabi

21 replies to this topic

#1 Salaam

Official Rebel Leader of BoB

• Brothers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,907 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:00 PM

The Inventor and Innovator of Milad un-Nabi

Ibn Katheer and Ibn Hajr
[indent]
As regards the celebration of the birthday of the Messenger (sallallahu 'alaihi wa sallam), the scholars have clearly stated that the person who first introduced this innovation (bid'a) was Muzaffar ad-Din ibn Zain al-Din, the ruler of Irbil. "He was a prodigal monarch. He commanded the scholars of his time to follow the conduct based on their own derivation and independent thinking (ijtihad), and that they should not follow any school of law of any master except their own. A group of scholars and a body of the servants inclined towards him. He used to celebrate the birthday of the first monarch to introduce this practice among the Muslims"[1] He used to spend one hundred thousand (dirhams) on the celebration of the birthday of the Messenger (sallallahu 'alaihi wa sallam) every year.[2] His assistant and helper in this innovation was Abdul Khattab Umar b. Dihya. "He was employed in the Maghrib, then travelled to Syria, then to Iraq, and then went to Irbil in 604 A.H. and found its monarch Muzaffar al-Din b. Zain al-Din who took keen interest in celebrating the birthday of the Messenger (sallallahu 'alaihi wa sallam). He composed a book for him al-Tanwir fi Maulid al-Siraj al-Munir and recited it to him. He rewarded him with one thousand dinars."[3]
Ibn Kathir has reported on the authority of al-Sabt about Ibn Dihya: "Ibn Unain used to defame the Muslims and disparage them. He would make additions in his report and exaggerate. So the people gave up narrating traditions from him and falsified him. Kamil was favouring him. When his conduct was disclosed to him, he withdrew Dar-al-Hadith from him and disgraced him."[4]
We give below the resume of Ibn Hajar al-Asqalanl's comments on him: "He was a liar, lied frequently, and a fabricator. He often slandered the scholars and the jurists of the past, used evil toungue, self-conceited, lacked insight in religious matters, and looked down upon religion. This has been reported from al-Hafiz Diya. He further says: Ali b. al-Hussain Abul Ali al- Isbahan narrated to me - it is enough to mention his name as an authority - when Ibn Dihya came to us in Isbahan, he stayed with my father in the hospice. He honoured and respected him very much. One day he came to my father with a carpet. He kissed it and placed it before him saying, "I offered such and such thousand rak'ahs of prayer on this carpet, and recited the whole Qur'an in the Ka'ba." He said: My father took it, kissed it, placed it on his head, and accepted it from him with a great pleasure. At the end of the day an inhabitant of Isbahan came and began to talk to us. During his conversation he said by chance: The faqih of Maghrib who is staying with you has purchased a beautiful carpet today for such and such a price. Therupon my father ordered to bring the carpet. Seeing it the man said, "Yes by Allah, this is the same." My father kept silent, and the eyes of Ibn Dihya fell down.[5]
1. Ahmad b. Muhammad el-Misry, el-Qawl el-Mu'tamad fi 'amal al-Mawlid
2. Al-Dhahabi, Duwal al-Islam, VoL11 p.102
3. Ibn Kathir, al-Bidaya wa al-Nihaya, Vol.I3 pp.144-146
4. Ibid
5. Ibn Hajar el-Asqalani, Lisan al-Mizan, VoL 4 p.295[/indent]

#2 Salaam

• Brothers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,907 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:00 PM

Ruling on celebrating the birthday of the Prophet

Praise be to Allaah the Lord of the Worlds, and blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and all his family and companions.
The commands mentioned in the Qur’aan and Sunnah to follow the laws of Allaah and His Messenger, and the prohibitions on introducing innovations into the religion are quite clear. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Say (O Muhammad to mankind): ‘If you (really) love Allaah, then follow me (i.e. accept Islamic Monotheism, follow the Qur’aan and the Sunnah), Allaah will love you and forgive you your sins’”
[Aal ‘Imraan 3:31]
“Follow what has been sent down unto you from your Lord (the Qur’aan and Prophet Muhammad’s Sunnah), and follow not any Awliyaa’ (protectors and helpers who order you to associate partners in worship with Allaah), besides Him (Allaah). Little do you remember!”
[al-A’raaf 7:3]
“And verily, this is My straight path, so follow it, and follow not (other) paths, for they will separate you away from His path”
[al-A’naam 6:153]
And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The most truthful of speech is the Book of Allaah and the best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad, and the most evil of things are those which are newly-invented.” And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever innovates anything in this matter of ours (i.e., Islam), that is not part of it will have it rejected.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, no. 2697; Muslim, no. 1718). According to a version narrated by Muslim, “Whoever doe anything that is not in accordance with this matter of ours (i.e., Islam), will have it rejected.”
Among the reprehensible innovations that people have invented is the celebration of the birthday of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in the month of Rabee’ al-Awwal. They celebrate this occasion in various ways:
Some of them simply make it an occasion to gather and read the story of the Mawlid, then they present speeches and qaseedahs (odes) for this occasion.
Some of them make food and sweets etc., and offer them to the people present.
Some of them hold these celebrations in the mosques, and some of them hold them in their houses.
Some people do not limit themselves to the actions mentioned above; they include in these gatherings haraam and reprehensible things, such as free mixing of men and women, dancing and singing, or committing actions of shirk such as seeking the help of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), calling upon him, seeking his support against their enemies and so on.
Whatever form it takes and whatever the intentions of those who do this are, there is no doubt whatsoever that it is an invented, haraam innovation which was introduced by the Shi’a Faatimids after the three best centuries, in order to corrupt the religion of the Muslims. The first person to do this after them was the king al-Muzaffar Abu Sa’eed Kawkaboori, the king of Irbil, at the end of the sixth century or the beginning of the seventh century AH, as was mentioned by the historians such as Ibn Khalkaan and others. Abu Shaamah said: the first person to do that in Mosul was Shaykh ‘Umar ibn Muhammad al-Malaa, one of the well-known righteous people. Then the ruler of Irbil and others followed his example.
Al-Haafiz Ibn Katheer said in al-Bidaayah wa’l-Nihaayah (13/137), in his biography of Abu Sa’eed Kazkaboori: “He used to observe the Mawlid in Rabee’ al-Awwal and hold a huge celebration on that occasion… some of those who were present at the feast of al-Muzaffar on some occasions of the Mawlid said that he used to offer in the feast five thousand grilled heads of sheep, ten thousand chickens and one hundred thousand large dishes, and thirty trays of sweets… he would let the Sufis sing from Zuhr until Fajr, and he himself would dance with them.”
Ibn Khalkaan said in Wafiyaat al-A’yaan (3/274): “When it is the first of Safar they decorate those domes with various kinds of fancy adornments, and in every dome there sits a group of singers and a group of puppeteers and players of musical instruments, and they do not leave any one of those domes without setting up a group (of performers) there.
The people give up work during this period, and they do no work except going around and watching the entertainment. When there are two days to go until the Mawlid, they bring out a large number of camels, cows and sheep, more than can be described, and they accompany them with all the drums, songs and musical instruments that they have, until they bring them to the square… On the night of the Mawlid there are performances of nasheed after Maghrib in the citadel.”
This is the origin of this celebration on the occasion of the Prophet’s birthday. More recently idle entertainment, extravagance, and wasting of money and time have become associated with an innovation for which Allaah has not sent down any authority.
What Muslims should do is to revive the Sunnah and put an end to bid’ah (innovation); they should not do any action until they know the ruling of Allaah concerning it.
Ruling on celebrating the Prophet’s birthday

Celebrating the occasion of the birthday of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is forbidden and is to be rejected for a number of reasons:
1 – it is not part of the Sunnah of the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) or of the khaleefahs who succeeded him. Since this is the case, then it is a forbidden innovation, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “I urge you to follow my Sunnah and the way of the rightly-guided khaleefahs after me; adhere to it and cling to it firmly. Beware of newly-invented things, for every newly-invented thing is an innovation (bid’ah) and every innovation is a going-astray.” (Narrated by Ahmad, 4/126; al-Tirmidhi no. 2676).
Celebrating the Mawlid is an innovation introduced by the Shi’a Faatimids after the three best centuries in order to corrupt the religion of the Muslims. If a person does anything in order to draw closer to Allaah which was not done by the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) or enjoined by him, and was not done by the khaleefahs who succeeded him, this action implies that he is accusing the Messenger of not explaining the religion to the people, and that he disbelieves in the words of Allaah (interpretation of the meaning):
“This day, I have perfected your religion for you”
[al-Maa'idah 5:3]
because he is adding something extra and claiming that it is a part of the religion, but the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not bring this.
2 – Celebrating the birthday of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is an imitation of the Christians, because they celebrate the birth of the Messiah (peace be upon him). Imitating them is extremely haraam. The hadeeth tells us that it is forbidden to imitate the kuffaar, and we are commanded to differ from them. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them” (narrated by Ahmad, 2/50; Abu Dawood, 4/314). And he said, “Be different from the mushrikeen” (narrated by Muslim, 1/222, no. 259) – especially with regard to things that are the symbols or rituals of their religion.
3 – Besides being bid’ah and an imitation of the Christians, both of which are haraam, celebrating the birthday of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is also a means that leads to exaggeration and excess in venerating him, which even goes as far as calling upon him (making du’aa’ to him) and seeking his help, instead of calling upon Allaah, as happens now among many of those who observe the bid’ah of the Mawlid, when they call upon the Messenger instead of Allaah, and ask him for support, and sing qaseedahs (odes) of shirk praising him, like Qaseedat al-Burdah etc. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade going to extremes in praising him, as he said: “Do not extol as the Christians extolled the son of Maryam. For I am just His slave, so say, the slave of Allaah and His Messenger” (narrated by al-Bukhaari, 4/142, no. 3445; al-Fath, 6/551), i.e., do not exaggerate in praising me as the Christians exaggerated in praising the Messiah and venerated him until they worshipped him instead of Allaah. Allaah forbade them to do that when he said (interpretation of the meaning):
“O people of the Scripture (Christians)! Do not exceed the limits in your religion, nor say of Allaah aught but the truth. The Messiah ‘Eesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), was (no more than) a Messenger of Allaah and His Word, (“Be!” — and he was) which He bestowed on Maryam (Mary) and a spirit (Rooh) created by Him”
[al-Nisaa’ 4:171]
Our Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade us to exaggerate concerning him lest the same thing happen to us as happened to them, so he said: “Beware of exaggeration, for those who came before you were destroyed because of exaggeration” (narrated by al-Nasaa’i, 5/268; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Sunan al-Nasaa’i, no. 2863).
4 – Observing the innovation of the Prophet’s birthday opens the door to other kinds of bid’ah and being distracted by them from the Sunnah. Hence you find that the innovators are very active when it comes to bid’ah and very lazy when it comes to the Sunnah; they hate it and regard those who follow it as enemies, until their entire religion is innovated anniversaries and Mawlids. They have split into various groups, each of which commemorates the anniversary of its imaam’s birth, such as the births of al-Badawi, Ibn ‘Arabi, al-Dasooqi and al-Shaadhili. No sooner do they end the celebration of one birthday but they start the celebration of another. This results in exaggeration concerning these dead people and others, and in calling upon them instead of Allaah, believing that they can bring benefit and cause harm, until they deviate from the religion of Allaah and go back to the religion of the people of the Jaahiliyyah of whom Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“And they worship besides Allaah things that harm them not, nor profit them, and they say: ‘These are our intercessors with Allaah’”
[Yoonus 10:18]
“And those who take Awliyaa’ (protectors, helpers, lords, gods) besides Him (say): ‘We worship them only that they may bring us near to Allaah’”
[al-Zumar 39:3]
Discussing the specious arguments of those who celebrate the Mawlid
Those who think that this bid’ah should be continued produce specious arguments which are flimsier than a spider’s web. These specious arguments may be dealt with as follows:
1 – Their claim that this is veneration of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him):
The response to that is that the way to venerate him is to obey him, do as he commanded and avoid that which he forbade, and to love him; he is not to be venerated through innovations, myths and sins. Celebrating his birthday is of this blameworthy type because it is a sin. The people who venerated the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) the most were the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them), as ‘Urwah ibn Mas’ood said to Quraysh: “O people, by Allaah I have visited kings. I went to Caesar, Chosroes and the Negus, but by Allaah I never saw a king whose companions venerated him as much as the companions of Muhammad venerated Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). By Allaah, whenever he spat it never fell on the ground, it fell into into the hand of one his companions, then they wiped their faces and skins with it. If he instructed them to do something, they would hasten to do as he commanded. When he did wudoo’, they would almost fight over his water. When he spoke they would lower their voices in his presence; and they did not stare at him out of respect for him.” (al-Bukhaari, 3/178, no. 2731, 2732; al-Fath, 5/388). Yet despite this level of veneration, they never took the day of his birth as an ‘Eid (festival). If that had been prescribed in Islam they would not have neglected to do that.
2 – Using as evidence the fact that many people in many countries do this.
The response to that is that evidence consists of that which is proven from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and what is proven from the Prophet is that innovations are forbidden in general, and this is an innovation. What people do, if it goes against the evidence (daleel), does not prove anything, even if many of them do it.
“And if you obey most of those on the earth, they will mislead you far away from Allaah’s path”
[al-An’aam 6:116 – interpretation of the meaning]
Nevertheless, in every age, praise be to Allaah, there have always been those who denounce this bid’ah and state clearly that it is false. Those who persist in following it after the truth had been explained to them have no proof.
Among those who denounced the celebration of this occasion was Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah, in Iqtidaa’ al-Siraat al-Mustaqeem; Imaam al-Shaatibi in al-‘I’tisaam; Ibn al-Haaj in al-Madkhil; Shaykh Taaj al-Deen ‘Ali ibn ‘Umar al-Lakhami who wrote an entire book denouncing it; Shaykh Muhammad Basheer al-Sahsawaani al-Hindi in his book Siyaanah al-Insaan; al-Sayyid Muhammad Rasheed Ridaa wrote a separate essay on this topic; Shaykh Muhammad ibn Ibraaheem Aal al-Shaykh wrote a separate essay on it; Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz; and others who are still writing and denouncing this bid’ah every year in the pages of newspapers and magazines, at the time when this bid’ah is being done.
3 – They say that by celebrating the Mawlid they are keeping the memory of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) alive.
The answer to that is that the memory of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is constantly kept alive by the Muslim, such as when his name (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is mentioned in the adhaan and iqaamah and in khutbahs, and every time the Muslim recites the Shahaadatayn after doing wudoo’ and in the prayers, and every time he sends blessings upon the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in his prayers and when he is mentioned, and every time the Muslim does a waajib (obligatory) or mustahabb (recommended) action that was prescribed by the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). In all of these ways (the Muslim) remembers him and the reward equivalent to the reward of the one who does that action goes back to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Thus the Muslim constantly keeps the memory of the Messenger alive and has a connection with him night and day throughout his life through that which Allaah has prescribed, not only on the day of the Mawlid and things which are bid’ah and go against the Sunnah, for that puts one at a distance from the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and the Messenger will disown him because of that.
The Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) has no need of this innovated celebration, because Allaah has already bestowed veneration and respect upon him, as He says:
“and raised high your fame”
[al-Sharh 94:4]
For Allaah is not mentioned in the adhaan, iqaamah or khutbah, but the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is mentioned after Him; this is sufficient veneration, love and renewal of his memory, ad sufficient encouragement to follow him.
Allaah did not refer to the birth of the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in the Qur’aan, rather He referred to his Mission, and says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Indeed, Allaah conferred a great favour on the believers when He sent among them a Messenger (Muhammad) from among themselves”
[Aal ‘Imraan 3:124]
“He it is Who sent among the unlettered ones a Messenger (Muhammad) from among themselves”
[al-Jumu’ah 64:2]
4 – They may say that the celebration of the Prophet’s birthday was introduced by a knowledgeable and just king who intended thereby to draw closer to Allaah.
Our response to that is that bid’ah is not acceptable, no matter who does it. A good intention does not justify a bad deed and even if a person died as a knowledgeable and righteous person, this does not mean that he was infallible.
5 – They say that celebrating the mawlid comes under the heading of bid’ah hasanah (“good innovation”) because it is based on giving thanks to Allaah for the Prophet!
Our response to that is that there is nothing good in innovation. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever innovates anything in this matter of ours (i.e., Islam), that is not part of it will have it rejected.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, no. 2697; al-Fath, 5/355). And he said, “Every innovation is a going astray” (narrated by Ahmad, 4/126; al-Tirmidhi, no. 2676). The ruling on innovations is that they are all misguidance, but this specious argument suggests that not every bid’ah is a going astray, rather there are good innovations.
Al-Haafiz ibn Rajab said in Sharh al-Arba’een: “The words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), ‘every innovation is a going astray’ is a concise but comprehensive comment which includes everything; it is one of the most important principles of religion. It is like his words ‘Whoever innovates anything in this matter of ours (i.e., Islam), that is not part of it will have it rejected.’ (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3/167, no. 2697; al-Fath, 5/355). Whoever innovates anything and attributes it to Islam when it has no basis in the religion, this is a going astray and is nothing to do with Islam, whether that has to do with matters of belief (‘aqeedah) or outward and inward words and deeds.”
(Jaami’ al-‘Uloom wa’l-Hakam, p. 233)
These people have no proof that there is any such thing as a “good innovation” apart from the words of ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) concerning Taraaweeh prayers, “What a good innovation this is.” (Saheeh al-Bukhaari, 2/252, no. 2010 mu’allaqan; al-Fath 4/294).
They also said that things were innovated which were not denounced by the salaf, such as compiling the Qur’aan into one volume and writing and compiling the hadeeth.
The response to that is that these matters had a basis in Islam, so they were not newly-invented.
‘Umar said: “What a good bid’ah” meaning innovation in the linguistic sense, not in the shar’i sense. Whatever has a basis in Islam, if it is described as an innovation, is an innovation in the linguistic sense, not in the shar’i sense, because innovation in the shar’i sense means that which has no basis in Islam.
Compiling the Qur’aan into one book has a basis in Islam, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had commanded that the Qur’aan be written down, but it was scattered, so the Sahaabah compiled it in one volume so as so protect and preserve it.
The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) led his companions in praying Taraaweeh for a while, then he stopped doing that, lest that become obligatory on them. The Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) continued to pray it separately during the life of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and after his death, until ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab (may Allaah be pleased with them) gathered them behind one imaam as they used to pray behind the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). This was not an innovation introduced into the religion.
Writing down the hadeeth also has a basis in Islam. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) ordered that some ahaadeeth should be written down for some of his companions when they asked him for that. In general terms writing it down during his lifetime was not allowed, for fear that the Qur’aan might be mixed with things that were not part of it. When the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) died, this fear was no longer a factor, because the Qur’aan had been completed and arranged in order before he died. The Muslims compiled the Sunnah after that in order to preserve it and keep it from being lost. May Allaah reward them with good on behalf of Islam and the Muslims, because they preserved the Book of their Lord and the Sunnah of their Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) from being lost or being tampered with.
We may also say to them: why was this act of thanksgiving, as they call it, not done by the best generations, the Sahaabah, Taabi’een and followers of the Taabi’een, who loved the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) most and who were most keen to do good and give thanks? Are those who introduced the innovation of the Mawlid more rightly-guided than them? Do they give more thanks to Allaah? Definitely not!
6 – They may say that celebrating the birthday of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is indicative of their love for him; this is one way of showing that, and showing love of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is prescribed in Islam!
The answer to that is that undoubtedly loving the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is obligatory for every Muslim; he should love him more than he loves himself, his child, his father and all the people – may my father and mother be sacrificed for him – but that does not mean that we should introduce innovations for doing so that have not been prescribed for us. Loving him dictates that we should obey him and follow him, for that is one of the greatest manifestations of love, as it is said:
“If your love is sincere then obey him; for the lover obeys the one whom he loves.”
Loving the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) implies keeping his Sunnah alive, adhering firmly to it, and avoiding words and deeds that go against it. Undoubtedly everything that goes against his Sunnah is a reprehensible innovation (bid’ah) and a manifest act of disobedience. That includes celebrating his birthday and other kinds of bid’ah. A good intention does not mean that it is permissible to introduce innovations into the religion. Islam is based on two things, purity of intention and following [the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)]. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Yes, but whoever submits his face (himself) to Allaah (i.e. follows Allaah’s religion of Islamic Monotheism) and he is a Muhsin (a doer of good) then his reward is with his Lord (Allaah), on such shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve”
[al-Baqarah 2:112]
Submitting one’s face to Allaah means being sincere towards Allaah, and doing good means following the Messenger and implementing the Sunnah.
7 – Another of their specious arguments is when they say that by celebrating the Mawlid and reading the biography of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) on this occasion, they are encouraging people to follow his example!
We say to them that reading the biography of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and following his example are required of the Muslim all the time, all year long and throughout his life. Singling out a specific day for that with no evidence for doing so is an innovation, and every innovation is a going astray.” (Narrated by Ahmad, 4/164; al-Tirmidhi, 2676). Bid’ah does not bear any fruit but evil and it leads to a person distancing himself from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).
In conclusion, celebrating the birthday of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), whatever form it takes, is a reprehensible innovation. The Muslims should put a stop to this and other kinds of bid’ah, and occupy themselves with reviving and adhering to the Sunnah. They should not be deceived by those who promote and defend this bid’ah, for these types of people are more interested in keeping innovations alive than in reviving the Sunnah; they may not even care about the Sunnah at all. Whoever is like this, it is not permissible to imitate him or follow his example, even if the majority of people are like this. Rather we should follow the example of those who follow the path of the Sunnah, among the righteous salaf and their followers, even if they are few. Truth is not measured by the men who speak it, rather men are measured by the truth.
The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever among you lives (for a long time) will see many differences. I urge you to follow my Sunnah and the way of the rightly-guided khaleefahs who come after me. Hold on to it firmly. Beware of newly-invented matters, for every innovation is a going astray.” (Narrated by Ahmad, 4/126; al-Tirmidhi no. 2676). So the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) explained to us in this hadeeth what we should do when there are differences of opinion, just as he explained that everything that goes against his Sunnah, be it words or deeds, is a bid’ah, and every bid’ah is a going astray.
If we see that there is no basis for celebrating the birthday of the Prophet, whether in the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) or in the way of the rightly-guided khaleefahs, then it is one of the newly-invented matters, one of the bid’ahs which lead people astray. This principle is what is implied by this hadeeth and is what is indicated by the aayah (interpretation of the meaning):
“O you who believe! Obey Allaah and obey the Messenger (Muhammad), and those of you (Muslims) who are in authority. (And) if you differ in anything amongst yourselves, refer it to Allaah and His Messenger, if you believe in Allaah and in the Last Day. That is better and more suitable for final determination”
[al-Nisaa’ 4:59]
Referring to Allaah means referring to His Book, and referring to the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) means referring to his Sunnah after he has passed away. The Qur’aan and Sunnah are the reference point in cases of dispute. Where in the Qur’aan or Sunnah does it indicate that it is prescribed in Islam to celebrate the Prophet’s birthday? Whoever does that or thinks that it is good must repent to Allaah from this and from other kinds of bid’ah. This is the attitude of the Muslim who is seeking the truth. But whoever is too stubborn and arrogant after proof has been established, then his reckoning will be with his Lord.
We ask Allaah to help us adhere to His Book and the Sunnah of His Messenger until the Day when we will meet Him. May Allaah grant blessings and peace to our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions.
Huqooq al-Nabi (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) bayna al-Ijlaal wa’l-Ikhlaal, p. 139
Shaykh Dr. Saalih ibn Fawzaan al-Fawzaan
Member of the Committee of Senior Scholars, Saudi Arabia.

#3 Salaam

• Brothers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,907 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:01 PM

Mawlid al-Nabi (the Prophet’s birthday)

Why some people accept and some unaccept the celebration of the prophet (Posted Image saw)? What is your opinion?

Praise be to Allaah.
There is nothing in the Qur’aan to say that we should celebrate the Mawlid or birthday of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The Prophet himself (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not do this or command anyone to do it, either during his lifetime or after his death. Indeed, he told them not to exaggerate about him as the Christians had exaggerated about Jesus (upon whom be peace). He said: “Do not exaggerate about me as the Christians exaggerated about the son of Maryam. I am only a slave, so say, ‘The slave of Allaah and His Messenger.’” (Reported by al-Bukhaari). What has been reported is that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) made the day of his birth a day of worship, which is different to celebration. He was asked about fasting on Mondays, and he said: “That is the day on which I was born and the day on which I was entrusted with the Mission or when I was first given Revelation.” (Reported by Muslim, al-Nisaa’i and Abu Dawood).
Moreover, we know that the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) were the people who loved the Prophet most. Was it reported that Abu Bakr, who was the closest of people to him and the one who loved him the most, celebrated the birthday of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)? Was it reported that ‘Umar, who ruled for twelve years, or ‘Uthmaan, did this? Was it reported that ‘Ali, his relative and foster son, did this? Was it reported that any of the Sahaabah did this? No, by Allaah! Is it because they were not aware of its importance, or did they not truly love the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)? No one would say such a thing except one who has gone astray and is leading others astray.
Did any of the imaams – Abu Haneefah, Maalik, al-Shaafi’i, Ahmad, al-Hasan al-Basri, Ibn Seereen – do this or command others to do it or say that it was good? By Allaah, no! It was not even mentioned during the first and best three centuries. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said in a saheeh hadeeth: “The best of mankind are my generation (or my century), then those who come after them, then those who come after them. Then there will come a people who will not care if their testimony comes before their oath or vice versa (i.e., they will not take such matter seriously).” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, Muslim and al-Tirmidhi). The celebration of the Prophet’s birthday appeared many centuries later, when many of the features of true religion had vanished and bid’ah had become widespread.
Thus this celebration became a sign of one’s love for the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)? But can it be possible that the Sahaabah, the imaams and the people of the best three centuries were unaware of it, and it was only those who came later who were aware of its importance?! What the Qur’aan tells us is that love of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is demonstrated by following the guidance he brought. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Say (O Muhammad): ‘If you (really) love Allaah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your sins. And Allaah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
Say: ‘Obey Allaah and the Messenger.’ But if they turn away, then Allaah does not like the disbelievers.” [Aal ‘Imraan 3:31-32]
The first aayah explains that love is just a claim, but the proof of sincerity is following what the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) brought. The second aayah reaffirms the importance and necessity of obeying Allaah and His Messenger. Hence Allaah ended the aayah with a very stern warning in which those who refuse to obey are described as kaafirs, and Allah does not love the disbelievers. We ask Allaah to keep us safe from that. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us of the danger of not obeying him, and the danger of adding to what he brought. The celebration of Mawlid or his birthday is indeed an addition to what he brought – as all the scholars agree. He said: “The best of speech is the Book of Allaah, and the best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad. The most evil of things are those which are newly-invented (in religion), and every innovation is a going astray.” (Reported by Muslim and al-Nisaa’i).
We ask Allaah to protect us from bid’ah and to bless us by helping us to follow. Allaah knows best. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.
Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

#4 Salaam

• Brothers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,907 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:02 PM

#5 Salaam

• Brothers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,907 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:05 PM

#6 Salaam

• Brothers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,907 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:07 PM

#7 Salaam

• Brothers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,907 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:10 PM

Ibn Taymiyyah:

The translation and quotation you cited seems to be tampered since it gives the wrong meaning. As for what you have quoted, Ibn Tay'miah said in his book "Necessity of the Right Path":

"As far as what people do during the Meelad, either as a rival celebration to that which the Christian do during the time of Christ's birthday or as an expression of their love and admiration and a sign of praise for the Noble Prophet (Allah's Grace & Peace be upon Him), Allah Almighty will surely reward them for such Ij'tiha". He then said: "Although Meelad was not practiced by (Salaf), they should have done so since there was no objection against it from the Shari'ah point of view".

The correct version from Ibn Taymiyyah's book "Iqtidha al-Siraat al-Mustaqeem" (Necessity of the Right Path) is as under:

" Allah Almighty MAY reward them on this love and the will to endeavor, Not on this Bid'ah that they have made the birthday of The Prophet as an Eid "

Note: You translated, "Allah Almighty will SURELY reward". The arabic word here is "Qad" and it means here "MAY" since it is with "Fail Mudaa'ray" (Present or Future Tense) . If it was with "Madee" (Past Tense) then it would have meant "Surely". Moreover the probability of reward according to Ibn Taymiyyah is because of love and Ijtihad, and not because of this Bid'ah. He clearly mentions:

Not on this Bid'ah that they have made the birthday of The Prophet as an Eid

But in your quotation you have omitted this half of the sentence, which specifically shows that Ibn Taymiyyah did not approve the celebrations of Eid Milad un Nabi and he called it as Bid'ah.

He further says:

" Moreover people disagree on the date of birth of the Prophet. This is surely an act that Salaf never did. Although the reason requiring this (love and admiration) existed and there was nothing that could stop them, had it been really good. If it was really good or a preferable thing, the Salaf had a better right to do it than us, because they had more love and admiration for the Prophet than us. They were more desirous of doing any good thing than us."

Now this clearly shows that Ibn Taymiyyah is against the Mawlid celebrations. But you have quoted Ibn Taymiyyah as saying:

"Although Meelad was not practiced by (Salaf), they should have done so since there was no objection against it from the Shari'ah point of view"

This is a clear lie ascribed towards Ibn Taymiyyah.

Continuing further he says:

" The highest degree of love and admiration is in following his (Prophet's) footsteps and obeying and following his orders and revival of his Sunnah, secretly and openly and spreading of the Deen he brought. And jihad with heart, hand and tongue for this purpose. And this is the way of al-Sa'biqeen al-Awaleen (Salaf), Muhajireen, Ansaar and those who followed them in good manner.

He says:

Most people whom you find keen for such type of Bid'ah, although they have good intentions and endeavor for which one hopes that they may get reward, you find that they do not come up to the mark in fulfilling the orders of the Prophet, as they have been instructed to be really active in this. Their example is like one who decorates the Mushaf (Quran) but does not read it or reads but does not follow it. Or he is like one who decorates Masjid and does not pray in it or prays very little. Or like one who adopts beads of Tasbih and decorated prayer mats and other superficial decoration which are not in Shariah and with them comes "Riya", "Kibar" and negligence of those acts which are mandatory in Shariah. This is what spoils the condition of the one who commits it, as has been indicated in the tradition:

Then he quotes this hadith:

' It never happens that the actions of an Ummah spoil, but they start decorating their Masajid ' [Ibn Majah, Kitab ul Masajid wal Jama'at]
(Note: This hadeeth is not authentic because of the narrator Jubara bin al-Mughallis, who is weak)

In Majmua' Fatawi Ibn Taymiyya, Vol. 25, p.298, he says:

" To hold celebrations other than celebrations of Shariah as is a night of Rabee al-Awal about which is called that it is the night of the Holy Prophet's birthday (Lailatul Mawlid), or a particular night in Rajab or 18th of Zil Hajj, or first Jumua of Rajab, or 8th of Shawal which is considered by some ignorant people as Eid ul Abrar, All these are Bid'ah. Never liked by Salaf and Never acted upon. And Allah Subhanahu Wata A'la knows best "

Thus it is very clear that Ibn Taymiyyah is not in favor of these Mawlid celebrations and he calls it Bid'ah.

And as for what you have quoted, Ibn Taymiyya's opinion about Mawlid from "The Collected Fatwas," ("Majma' Fatawi Ibn Taymiyya,") Vol. 23, p. 163:

"Fa-t'adheem al-Mawlid wat-tikhaadhuhu mawsiman qad yaf'alahu ba'ad an-naasi wa yakunu lahu feehi ajra `adheem lihusni qasdihi t'adheemihi li-Rasulillahi, salla-Allahu `alayhi wa sallam"

"To celebrate and to honor the birth of the Prophet (s) and to take it as an honored season, as some of the people are doing, is good and in it there is a great reward, because of their good intentions in honoring the Prophet (s)."

I was unable to find it in his Majmua, I think the page numbers are different. Any way, from what you have mentioned in Arabic, this statement seems to be incomplete. It is somewhat like a question, which lacks an answer. The translation seems to be tampered. The words "Is Good" in translation are not present in the Arabic portion. Moreover the translation contradicts Ibn Taymiyyah's views about Mawlid celebrations. I have already mentioned his views about Mawlid celebrations i.e. He is not in favor of them.

Ibn Taymiyya's opinion that Laylat al-'Israa' may be considered better than Laylat ul-Qadr with respect to Prophet. Or your conclusion that Laylat al-Mawlid is better than Laylat al-'Israa' or Laylat al-Qadr is irrelevant to the topic under discussion. This is no daleel and it does not approve of the celebrations just by comparing nights with each other.

#8 Salaam

• Brothers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,907 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:14 PM

#9 Salaam

• Brothers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,907 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:14 PM

#10 Salaam

• Brothers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,907 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

A Dialogue between Shaikh al-Albanee and a proponent of Mawlid on the subject, Is the celebration of Mawlid a good deed (Khayr)?

Posted Image

Shaikh al-Albanee: Is the celebration of Mawlid an-Nabawi Khayr (good) or evil?
The opponent: Khayr.

Shaikh al-Albanee: So, were the Messenger of Allah r and his Sahabah unaware of this Khayr (good)?
The opponent: No.

Shaikh al-Albanee: I am not convinced with your saying, 'No' because it is impossible that this Khayr (i.e. the celebration Mawlid) if it is Khayr
- be concealed from the Prophet r and his Sahabah since we do not know Islam and Eeman except through Prophet Muhammad r. So, how do we know a Khayr (good deed) that he did not know of? This is impossible.
The opponent: Establishing Mawlid an-Nabawi is reviving his r memories and is a tribute to him r.

Shaikh al-Albanee:This is a philosophy that we know of, and have heard from many and read in their books, but when Allah's Messenger r invited the people (to the Deen of Allah), did he call them to Islam as a whole or he invited them to Tawheed?
The opponent:Tawheed.

Shaikh al-Albanee:First, he invited them to Tawheed, next prayer was made obligatory, then fasting, later the obligation of Hajj, and so on. So, you follow this Sunnah of the Sharee'ah, (and talk about the issue under discussion) step-by-step.
We have now agreed that it is impossible that there could be a Khayr with us which the Prophet r did not know of. (Because) we know all the Khayr through the Messenger r... and I believe that anyone, who doubts in this matter, is not a Muslim.
From the Ahadeeth of Allah's Messenger r that support this statement is, "There is nothing that will take you closer to Paradise but that I have enjoined it upon you, and there is nothing that will take you closer to Hell but that I have warned you of it." [Musnad ash-Shafa'ee and others]
So, if Mawlid was Khayr and something that could bring us closer to Allah, then Allah's Messenger r would have guided us to it. Right or wrong
I don't want you to agree with me except if you are convinced of every word I say. You have complete freedom to say, "Please, I do not agree with this point." So, do you stop at some point from what I have just said, or are you with me completely?
The opponent:I am with you totally.

Shaikh al-Albanee:Jazak Allah Khair.
We say to everybody who approves of this celebration – Mawlid is Khayr in your opinion, so did the Messenger of Allah r guide us to it or did he not. If they say, "He guided us to it." We say to them, "Produce your proof if you are truthful." [Soorah al-Baqarah (2): 11] and they can never bring a proof of it... they have no proof or argument except (saying), "This is a Bidah Husna (a good innovation)!!"

All - those who approve of Mawlid and those who forbid it - are in agreement that this (celebration of) Mawlid neither existed at the time of Allah's Messenger nor at the time of the Sahabah...
However, the supporters of Mawlid say, "What is in Mawlid? It is just remembering the Prophet r , sending blessing upon him and similar acts."We say, "If it was Khayr, there would have been precedence in it (by the Salaf as-Salih). You know the Hadeeth of Allah's Messenger r, "The best of my ummah is my generation, then those who come after them, then
those who come after them." This is an agreed upon Hadeeth.
The Prophet's generation was in which he r and the Sahabah lived, then those who followed them were the Tabi'oon, and then those who followed them were the followers of Tabi'oon. This again is an agreed upon matter.
So, do you think that there could be any Khayr in which we could excel them in terms of knowledge and actions? Is it possible?
The opponent:Concerning knowledge - if the Messenger had informed someone at his time that the earth rotates.

Shaikh al-Albanee:Please no divergence (from the issue under discussion). I asked you about two things; knowledge and action. As a matter of fact, this divergence of yours has been helpful to me. So, (to say in a more clear way), my question is in terms of the Sharee'ah
knowledge and actions. It is not concerning (the knowledge of) medicine for example.
The doctor today is more knowledgeable than Ibn Seena in his age because he was born after a long time and various experiments(were) carried out (during this period) but this does not increase him (in status) in the sight of Allah nor does he achieve precedence over the
best generations. Rather he possesses a superior status in the field of knowledge he possesses. We are however, speaking about the Sharee'ah knowledge Barak Allah Feek (may Allah bless you).
So, you have to keep this in mind. When I tell you, do we believe that we can be more knowledgeable, it refers to the Sharee'ah knowledge not the experimental knowledge like Geography, Astronomy, Chemistry and Physics. In this time of ours, a disbeliever is more knowledgeable than the other people in these secular sciences - does this bring him closer to Allah?
The opponent:No

Shaikh al-Albanee: So, now we are not talking in terms of worldly knowledge but we are speaking about knowledge with which we seek nearness/closeness to Allah.
Just a little while ago, we were speaking about the celebration of Mawlid. The question again is and please reply openly without another divergence.
Do you think with the mind and intellect bestowed upon you (by Allah) that it is possible for us, in this later time to be more knowledgeable than the Sahabah and the Taba'een with regards to the Sharee'ah knowledge and be hastier in performing actions and that we be closer to Allah than the Salaf as-Salih?
The opponent: Do you mean the Tafseer of the Qur'aan by the knowledge of the Sharee'ah?

Shaikh al-Albanee: They are more knowledgeable than us in Tafseer, they are more knowledgeable than us in the Ahadeeth of Allah's Messenger - consequently they are more knowledgeable than us in the Sharee'ah of Islam.
The opponent: Perhaps today in our time (we are more knowledgeable) concerning the Tafseer of the Qur'aan, for example the Qur'aanic verse, "You will see the mountains and think them solid, but they shall pass away as the passing away of the clouds. The Work of Allah, Who perfected all things. Verily! He is Well-Acquainted with what you do." [Soorah an-Naml (27): 88]
If the Messenger of Allah r had informed someone in his time that the earth rotates, would he have believed him? Nobody would have believed him.

Shaikh al-Albanee: Do you want us to write down another divergence in your record?
Brother, I am asking about the totality and not some part, we are asking a common question - who is more knowledgeable as a whole about Islam?
The opponent: Obviously Allah's Messenger r and his Sahabah.

Shaikh al-Albanee: This is (the answer) we want from you, Barak Allah Feek.
The Tafseer, which you keep repeating, has no relation with actions. It relates to thinking and intellect. Those who mention this verse in order to conclude that the earth rotates are mistaken because the verse relates to the Day of Judgment, "On the Day when the earth will be changed to another earth and so will be the heavens, and they (all creatures) will appear before Allah, the One, the Irresistible.' [Soorah Ibraheem (14): 48]
(However,) We are not discussing this subject. I accept that that the later people are more knowledgeable about secular sciences than the Sahabah, the Taba'een and others - but this has no relation with righteous actions. For example, today the disbelievers are more knowledgeable in the sciences of astronomy but will it benefit them in any way? No. So, we don't have to plunge into this subject, we are to speak about everything that brings us closer to Allah. We have to discuss about Mawlid an-Nabawi.

We have so far agreed that if there was any Khayr then the Salaf as- Salih and at their head Allah's Messenger r would have been more knowledgeable about it than us and enthusiastic in performing that action. Is there any doubt in it?
The opponent: No, no doubt.

Shaikh al-Albanee: Do not restrict this to experimental sciences it has nothing to do with closeness to Allah or righteous deeds. So, Mawlid was non-existent during the time of Allah's Messenger r - as agreed upon by everybody. So, this Khayr was non-existent during the time of Allah's Messenger r, his Sahabah, Taba'een and the Imams. How could this Khayr be concealed from them? We have to say one of the two things; They knew this Khayr like we know (because) they were more knowledgeable than us.
OR
They did not know this Khayr, then how did we know it? So, if we say, they knew - and this saying is more in favor of those who approve the celebration of Mawlid - so, why did they not act upon it?
Are we closer to Allah then they were?!
Why did not even one of them perform this act - a Sahabi, a Taba'ee, a knowledgeable or even a common person?
Does it suit your mind that nobody ever acted upon this Khayr although there number was in millions, they were more knowledgeable than us, righteous than us and closer to Allah than us?
You know the saying of Allah's Messenger r, "Do not revile my companions. By (Allah) in Whose Hand my soul is, if any one of you spends gold (piled up) like (mount) Uhud it will not equal a pint of any one of them, nor its half." [Agreed upon]
Do you see the difference between them and us? They struggled in the path of Allah with the Prophet r. They took the knowledge 'gaddan taryan' (fresh and anew) without these many mediums that are between us and the Prophet r.
Allah's Messenger r pointed towards a similar meaning in the Saheeh Hadeeth, "Whoever wants to read the Qur'aan as gaddan taryan as when it was revealed, then let him read according to the recitation of Ibn Umm Abd (i.e. Abdullah ibn Mas'ood)."
We cannot imagine that these Salaf as-Salih and at the head of them the Sahabah were ignorant of something that would bring one closer to Allah and we know of it.
If we say that they knew it like we know then we cannot imagine that they ignored this Khayr.
Insha'Allah, this issue has been made clear to you after I have repeatedly mentioned it. If the celebration of Mawlid was Khayr then it would have been from Islam.
The opponent: al-Hamdulillah.

Shaikh al-Albanee: Jazak Allah Khair.
One more thing. There are numerous verses and Ahadeeth which explain that Islam has been completed/perfected. I believe you are well-aware of this and firmly believe in it – both a scholar and a common man know this truth that Islam is complete and it is not like the religion of the Jews and Christians in which there is alteration and modification every day.
I remind you of the saying of Allah, "This day I have perfected your religion for you, completed my Favor upon you and have chosen for you Islam as your religion." [Soorah al-Maidah (5):3]
So here comes the question and this is another way to prove that the celebration of Mawlid is not Khayr. If the celebration of Mawlid wasKhayr then it would have been from Islam. So are we all - those who approve of the celebration of Mawlid and those who disapprove of it - agreed upon this issue like our agreement upon the issue that the celebration of Mawlid was non-existent during the time of Allah's Messenger?
Are we agreed upon now that if the celebration of Mawlid was Khay then it would have been from Islam and if it was not Khayr then it is not from Islam?
"This day I have perfected your religion for you, completed my Favor upon you and have chosen for you Islam as your religion." [Soorah al- Maidah (5):3]
The day when the above verse was revealed, there was no celebration of Mawlid. So do you think the Deen would have been complete (without this celebration)?
Please be frank with me, do not think of me as those scholars who quiet their students and common people saying, 'Be quite, you do not know and you don't understand.'
Use your freedom to speak as if you were speaking to a person of your age and knowledge. If you are not convinced say, 'I am not convinced.'
So, if the celebration of Mawlid was Khayr then it would have been from Islam and if it was not Khayr then it would not have been from Islam and we are agreed upon that Mawlid was non-existent when this verse was revealed.
I base my argument upon the saying of Malik Ibn Anas, who said, "He, who innovates a Bidah in the religion of Islam and he considers it to be Khayr then he has maligned the Messenger of Allah, Muhammad r that he r betrayed the Message (i.e., did not completely convey the message)."
Notice that Malik Ibn Anas says one Bidah and not many Bidah.
So, this is a dangerous matter. What is the proof, O Imam?

Imam Malik said, "Read if you wish, 'This day I have perfected your religion for you,ncompleted my Favor upon you and have chosen for you Islam as your religion.'" [Soorah al-Maidah (5):3]
So, something that was not from the Deen that day is also not from the Deen today."
When did Imam Malik make this statement?
In the 2nd century after Hijrah - one of the generations that was promised goodness. So, how about the 14th century?!
This statement of Imam Malik should be carved with letters of gold. But we are ignorant of the Book of Allah and the Ahadeeth of Allah's Messenger r, and from the saying of the scholars whom we claim to follow, between their example and ours is a distance equal to the distance between east and west.
Imam Malik speaks in clear Arabic, 'something that was not from the Deen that day, is not from the Deen today.'
If it was not so then there would have been no controversy or dispute among the scholars who adhere to the Sunnah and those who defend the Bidah.
How can the celebration of Mawlid be from the Deen, when it was not so during the time of Allah's Messenger, the Sahabah, the Taba'een and their followers?!

Imam Malik was from the followers of the Taba'een and was included in the Hadeeth, "The best of my ummah is my generation, then those who come after them, then those who come after them." [Agreed upon]
Imam Malik said, "The affairs of the later part of this ummah can never be corrected except with that which corrected the affairs of the early
generations of this Ummah."
With what were the first part of the Ummah corrected?
By innovating in the religion and (seeking to) achieve closeness to Allah with that which Allah's Messenger r did not prescribed??!
Allah's Messenger r said, "There is nothing that will take you closer to Paradise but that I have enjoined it upon you, and there is nothing that will take you closer to Hell but that I have warned you from it." [Musnad ash-Shafa'ee]

Why did Allah's Messenger r not order us with the celebration of Mawlid?
This is a question and it has an answer, (because) there exists a legislated celebration of Mawlid an-Nabawi in contrast to the unlegislated celebration of Mawlid an-Nabawi. The legislated celebration existed during the time of Allah's Messenger r in contrast to the unlegislated one.

There are two big differences between these two celebrations;
1) The legislated celebration is a form of worship and is agreed upon by all the Muslims (in contrast to the unlegislated one, which is neither legislated nor a worship and is not agreed upon by all Muslims)
2) The legislated celebration comes once every week and their celebration of Mawlid comes once a year. I do not say this without a proof, I will relate to you a Hadeeth from Saheeh Muslim,
Abi Qatadah al-Ansaree related, "There came a man to Allah's Messenger r and said, 'O Messenger of Allah, why do you fast on Mondays?" He r replied, "That is the day on which I was born and the day on which I was entrusted with the Mission or when I was first given Revelation." [Saheeh Muslim]
What is the meaning of this statement?
The Prophet r is saying, why do you ask me this while on this day Allah gave me life and revealed the Qur'aan upon me?! Which means that it is required to fast on Mondays as a gratitude to Allah for His creating me and revelation of the Wahy.

This is similar to the fast of Aashoorah. The fast of Aashoorah was made obligatory upon every Muslim before the month of Ramadaan. It has been related in the Ahadeeth that when Allah's Messenger migrated to Medina, he found the Jews fasting the day of Aashoorah and inquired about it. They replied saying this is the day when Allah saved Moosa u and his people from Fir'awn and his army. So we fast on this day in thankfulness to Him.Allah's Messenger r said, "We have more right upon him than you." So,he fasted and ordered fasting on this day and it was made obligatory until Allah revealed this verse, "The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Qur'aan, a guidance for mankind and clear proofs for the guidance and criterion (between right and wrong)." [Soorah al-Baqarah (2): 185]
The obligation of fasting on the day of Aashoorah was abrogated later and it became a Sunnah.
It is evident from this that Allah's Messenger r participated with the Jews in their fasting on the day of Aashoorah in thankfulness to Allah for saving Moosa u from Fir'awn. So, the door of Shukr (thankfulness) has been opened - even for us - in the form of fasting on Mondays because it is the day when Allah's Messenger r was born and on this day the Wahy (revelation) came down upon him.
Now I ask, 'These people who celebrate Mawlid, do they fast on Mondays?'
No, they do not fast on Mondays. But most of the people celebrate Mawlid an-Nabawi every year! Is this not altering the facts?
For these people, the following verse is true with regards to Jews (alone), 'Would you exchange that which is better for that which is lower?' [Soorah al-Baqarah (2): 61]

The fast which is agreed upon by all the Muslims on Mondays is Khayr although majority of the Muslims do not fast this day!!
There are a very few people who fast on these days. So, do they know the reason behind this fast? No, they don't.
So, where are the scholars who defend Mawlid, why don't they enlighten the people that fasting on Monday is the legislated celebration of Mawlid (i.e., birthday of Allah's Messenger)? And why don't they encourage the people to it instead of defending the unlegislated celebration?
Allah truly says, "Would you exchange that which is better for that which is lower?" [Soorah al-Baqarah (2): 61]
The Messenger truly said, "They will follow the ways of those who came before them, handspan by handspan, cubit by cubit, until even if they entered a lizard's hole they will follow them." We said, "O Messenger of Allah, (do you mean) the Jews and Christians?" He said, "Who else?" [Agreed upon]
So, we have followed in the footsteps of the Jews, they chose that which was less over that which was Khayr, like we have chosen the celebration of Mawlid an-Nabawi that comes once a year and is baseless - over the Khayr i.e., celebration (of Mawlid an-Nabawi) every Monday.
It is a legislated practice that you fast while keeping in mind the motive behind it which is being thankful to Allah for His creation of Allah's Messenger r on this day and the revelation of Wahy...
The opponent: Isn't reading the Seerah (biography) of Allah's Messenger an act of honoring him?

Shaikh al-Albanee: Yes
The opponent: In it is reward - this is Khayr from Allah.

Shaikh al-Albanee: All of it is Khayr, there is no benefit (for your stance) in this question so I interrupt you with a question, 'Does anybody stop you from reading his r Seerah?'
Let me ask you a question, 'If there was a legislated worship, but Allah's Messenger r did not assign a specific time or specific manner for it. Is it allowed for us to set a specific time and manner for it from ourselves? Do you have an answer?'
The opponent: No, I don't have an answer.

Shaikh al-Albanee: Allah says, "Or have they partners with Allah, who have instituted for them a religion which Allah has not allowed." [Soorah Shurah (42): 21]
Similarly, Allah says, "They (Jews and Christians) took their rabbis and their monks to be their lords besides Allah (by obeying them in things which they made lawful or unlawful according to their own desires without being ordered by Allah), and (they also took as their Lord) Messiah, son of Maryam, while they (Jews and Christians) were commanded to worship none but One Ilah (Allah) La ilaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshiped but He). Praise and glory be to Him, (far above is He) from having the partners they associate (with Him)." [Soorah Tawbah (9): 31]

Narrated Adee Ibn Hatim t that he heard the Prophet of Allah r reciting the verse: (above verse), he (Hatim) said "We didn't worship them." The Messenger of Allah r, "Did they not make Haraam what Allah made Halaal and you all made it Haraam, and they made Halaal what Allah made Haraam and you all made it Haraam?" He replied, 'Certainly.' The Prophet of Allah r said, "That is your worship to them." [at-Tirmidhee, vol. 3, p. 56. no. 247]
This shows the danger of innovating in the Deen of Allah.
Adapted from
cassette no 1/94 of the series al-Huda wan-Nur
Arabic text can be found on www.binbaz.org
Translated by Shawana A. Aziz
translated article taken from www.qsep.com

#11 Salaam

• Brothers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,907 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

This day I have perfected your religion for you and completed My favor upon you and have approved for you Islam as religion.
[The Glorious Quran: Chapter 5 - Al-Maa'idah (The Table Spread): Verse3]

There is nothing that would bring you closer to Jannah and farther from the Fire but it has been clarified [by me] to you.

[Muhammad Sal Allaho Alyhe Wasallam: Reported in Masnad Ahmad]

A very interesting dialogue that reveals the reality of Celebrating the Birthday (Mawlid) of the Prophet Sal Allaho Alyhe Wasallam!
Characters: Two Muslims
Meeladi: Pro Mawlid Celebrations
Muwahhid: True follower of Quran and Sunnah (as interpreted by the early generations of the Salaf-us-Saliheen)
Meeladi: Assalamualaikum.
Muwahhid: Wa’alaikum assalaam. How come you are here so early? Haven’t you gone to the shop today?
Meeladi: Today is Eid-Milaad-un-Nabi. Most shops and markets are closed.
Muwahhid: Ahan! So you are celebrating Eid today!
Meeladi: Why? Aren’t you celebrating?
Muwahhid: Well, actually there are only two Eids in Islam; Eid Al-Fitar and Eid-ul-Adha.
Meeladi: There is this third Eid as well which is called ‘Eid Milaad-un-Nabi.’
Muwahhid: Hmmm, tell me one thing, for this third Eid… do people go on this Eid day to Eid Ground for performing Eid prayer?
Meeladi: No, there is no prayer for Eid Milaad-un-Nabi.
Muwahhid: Then why do you perform prayers for the rest of the two Eids?
Meeladi: Because those have to be performed.
Muwahhid: Why?
Meeladi: Because those have been prescribed to be performed.
Muwahhid: Isn’t there any order for performing the prayer of Eid Milaad-un-Nabi?
Meeladi: Well I guess there won’t be any… that’s why no one performs it.
Muwahhid: Is there any order anywhere for celebrating the Eid Milaad-un-Nabi?
Meeladi: In fact have never heard of any order, but it is not even prohibited.
Muwahhid: Is the prayer for this Eid prohibited?
Meeladi: Well even that’s not prohibited!
Muwahhid: Then why don’t you perform it?
Meeladi: What do you want to say?
Muwahhid: What I want to tell you is that there is no proof for this Eid in Islam. Had this Eid been part of Islam then just like the other two Eids there would have been a prayer for it, its virtues would have been mentioned in ahadith, Rasool Allah Sal Allaho Alyhe Wasallam would have described and elaborated its instructions and rulings.
Meeladi: Does that mean that people who celebrate it are mistaken?
Muwahhid: Islam is not the name of actions of Muslims (what they do or do not do), Islam is the name of Quran and Hadith… whatever is proven as per Quran and Hadith is part of Deen, and whatever is not proven is not part of Deen. If anyone makes it part of Deen then they are adding something to the original Deen and this is a grave sin, this is what is termed as ‘Bid’ah’. Rasool Allah Sal Allaho Alyhe Wasallam seriously warned his Ummah against Bid’ah.
Meeladi: Didn’t anyone celebrate this Eid during the times of the Companions (Sahaba) and their followers (Taba’een)?
Muwahhid: Not at all. Never. Not even any Imam or Muhaddith did celebrate this Eid after the Sahaba and Taba’een. The four Imams of Ahlul Sunnah never even heard of the name of this Eid.
Meeladi: How can this be possible that a Muslim loves Rasool Allah Sal Allaho Alyhe Wasallam but at the same time lets his birthday pass by silently?
Muwahhid: Well that’s possible and has actually been the case as well. You can never prove from any historic account that any of the Sahaba, Taba’een, and Imams of the Salaf (righteous predecessors) ever celebrated this Eid. The real proof of the love for Rasool Allah Sal Allaho Alyhe Wasallam is established by following the Quran and Sunnah, not be celebrating this Eid.
Meeladi: Christians celebrate the birth of their Prophet as Christmas (Eid-e-Milaad), our Prophet is the most esteemed of all, then why shouldn’t we Muslims celebrate the birth of our Prophet???
Muwahhid: Well Christians also call their Prophet as son of God, should then we also call our Prophet as God or son of God just imitating the Christians? My dear brother! This is why Quran and Hadith have termed the Christians as misguided because they do everything against the teachings of their Prophet… celebrating Christmas is the way of Christians that they themselves invented, this is not the teaching of Prophet Essa Alaihissalaam. And our beloved Prophet Sal Allaho Alyhe Wasallam told us:
“Beware of the extravagance/exaggeration in matters of religion. Those before you have perished because of extravagance/exaggeration in the matters of religion.”
[An-Nasaa’i]

Meeladi: Do you mean to say that Eid Milaad-un-Nabi is a useless tradition? Muwahhid: If this was a good thing to do then why did Rasool Allah Sal Allaho Alyhe Wasallam and his Sahaba not do it, was there any shortage of resources at that time… people who were celebrating two Eids, what would have kept them off from celebrating the third one as well?
Meeladi: Well there are many things that we have today but those were not there during the times of Sahaba, today we travel in cars and aero planes, you should then travel by donkeys and horses following the Islam of Sahaba!!!
Muwahhid: My dear brother! Scientific inventions do not affect Islam, religious inventions affect Islam, Rasool Allah Sal Allaho Alyhe Wasallam said:
“Whoever innovates anything in this matter of ours (i.e., Islaam), that is not part of it will have it rejected.”
[Sahih
Bukhaari, Sahih Muslim]

So this makes it clear that every innovation is not bad and rejected but only that innovation is bad and rejected that has something to do with Deen and its affairs, and is practiced under the assumption of it being part of Deen and a source of reward, so all the innovations that people have invented under the umbrella of Deen – all of the are rejected.
Meeladi: Then why do you celebrate the happiness at the birth of a child?
Muwahhid: There is difference between celebrating a happiness and being happy. At the birth of a child, every human being feels happy; naturally, not religiously! As far celebrating this happiness is concerned, for that Shari’ah has instructed to perfprm ‘Aqeeqah on the seventh day… so for any matter where Shari’ah gives any instruction then that’s part of Deen. Now you tell me has Shari’ah given any instruction to celebrate Eid on 12 Rabi-al-Awwal or has it encouraged us to do so? Not at all. Also, at the birth of a child, the happiness is celebrated only once not every year. Is Rasool Allah Sal Allaho Alyhe Wasallam born on 12 Rabi-al-Awwal every year? The happiness on the birth of a child is celebrated on the seventh day not on his/her birthday, and that too only once not every year.
Meeladi: They say that Abu Lahab freed his bondwoman on the birth of Rasool Allah Sal Allaho Alyhe Wasallam.
Muwahhid: That’s because he was happy on the birth of his nephew, he did not free his bondwoman because a Prophet has come to earth. If this was so much an appreciated matter then did Rasool Allah Sal Allaho Alyhe Wasallam after announcing his Prophethood ever order to revive this action of Abu Lahab? What Abu Lahab did was just celebrating the happiness as per the worldly custom, the birth of child in any family is a cause of happiness, Abu Lahab’s freeing his bondwoman was not because he considered this day as Eid. If Abu Lahab loved the Prophethood of his nephew then he would never have displayed the worst hatred towards Rasool Allah Sal Allaho Alyhe Wasallam and neither would have a whole Surah in the Noble Quran been revealed condemning his wife. Then if we consider the action of Abu Lahab as a justification for Eid-Milaad-un-Nabi then it mean that this Eid, though, is not a Nabawi-Sunnah, but it is certainly a Abu-Lahabi-Sunnah!
Meeladi: I have heard that there is some difference of opinion among the historians about the correct date of birth of Rasool Allah Sal Allaho Alyhe Wasallam, what is the reality then?
Muwahhid: It is the Will of Allah Subhaanahu Wa Ta’ala to not to allow them consensus in this matter, so that the proof of Islam’s true nature remains maintained, people remain saved from this Bid’ah… this is what we say that this day was never celebrated among the earlier generations, it is a later innovation, if 12 Rabi-al-Awwal had been celebrated in any capacity in the times after him, then all the Muslims would have been in consensus about the date of birth of Rasool Allah Sal Allaho Alyhe Wasallam.
Meeladi: OK let’s accept that the birth of Rasool Allah Sal Allaho Alyhe Wasallam was not celebrated among the earlier generations but now in the modern scientific age isn’t is possible to find out the correct date of birth of Rasool Allah Sal Allaho Alyhe Wasallam?
Muwahhid: See brother, there is consensus among all the historians on the date of death and that is 12 Rabi-al-Awwal, but the modern research about the date of birth of Rasool Allah Sal Allaho Alyhe Wasallam suggests it to be 9 Rabi-al-Awwal. ‘Rehmat-ul-lil-Alameen’ by Qazi Suleman and ‘Seerat-un-Nabi’ by Maulana Shibli Numaani have all the account of this research.
Meeladi: Then where did this Eid Milaad-un-Nabi come from?
Muwahhid: Well this is something that those who celebrate this Eid should be able to tell, however this is for sure that during the period ranging from time of Rasool Allah Sal Allaho Alyhe Wasallam until the time of Muhaddith Imams, it never existed.
Meeladi: If that’s the case then we are really committing a serious mistake, if our righteous predecessors did not celebrate this Eid then why should we do?
Muwahhid: May Allah bless you… Finally you have understood my point.
Meeladi: Well I have certainly understood your point, but can you explain one thing to me, people who celebrate Eid-Milaad-un-Nabi they do so with a good feeling and intention and there is a hadith: ‘Actions are but by intentions’
Muwahhid: My dear brother! Bid’ah is actually that action that is done with good intention but the action itself is wrong and hence rejected. For an action to be accepted by Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta’ala, not only good intention but also compliance with Sunnah is a precondition, otherwise the action is just a ruin. You find this condition mentioned over and over again in the Noble Quran.
Meeladi: So, is there no reward at all for Eid Milaad-un-Nabi?
Muwahhid: Brother! When it is not part of Islam to begin with, then how can it be a source of reward… this is a bid’ah… addition in Deen is not a negligible sin. You are asking about reward, whereas on the day of resurrection (Yawm al-Qiyaamah) these people (innovators) will not even be offered water from the Haud al-Kawthar , Rasool Allah Sal Allaho Alyhe Wasallam himself will not allow these people to come close to him.
Listen! There is a hadith, Rasool Allah Sal Allaho Alyhe Wasallam said:
“I am your predecessor at the Lake-Fount (Kauthar), and whoever will come to it, will drink from it, and whoever will drink from it, will never become thirsty after that. There will come to me some people whom I know and they know me, and then a barrier will be set up between me and them. I will say those people are from me. It will be said, ‘You do not know what changes and new things they did after you.’ Then I will say, ‘Far removed (from mercy), far removed (from mercy), those who changed (the religion) after me! “
[Sahih Bukhari]
Meeladi: Indeed, it’s a serious matter. You have really frightened my by mentioning this hadith. It is so kind of you that you have guided me to the right way. Insha’ Allah I will guide my family and friends too so that they should repent from all the Bid’ahs and deviations and preserve on Kitaab-o-Sunnah.
Muwahhid: May Allah enable us all to do good deeds. Aameen.
Rasool Allah Sal Alaho Alyhe Wasallam said:
“Whoever among you lives (for a long time) will see many differences. I urge you to follow my Sunnah and the way of the rightly-guided khaleefahs who come after me. Hold on to it firmly. Beware of newly-invented matters, for every newly-invented matter is an innovation (Bid’ah) and every innovation is a going astray.”
[Ahmad & Tirmidhi]

#12 Salaam

• Brothers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,907 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:03 PM

How can one actualise one's love for the Messenger (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam)
*Please appropriately reference this fatwa to: www.fatwa-online.com, thankyou!*
Question
: How can one actualise (their) love for the Messenger (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam)?
Response: Love of the Messenger (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) and love of Allaah (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam), and everyone who follows the Messenger (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) is more eligible for the love of Allaah and the love of His Messenger. Allaah (Soorah Aal-'Imraan, Subhaanahu wa Ta'aala) said:
{O you who believe! Do not put (yourselves) forward before Allaah and His Messenger, and fear Allaah. Verily! Allaah is All-Hearing, All-Knowing. O you who believe! Raise not your voices above the voice of the Prophet, nor speak aloud to him in talk as you speak aloud to one another, lest your deeds may be rendered fruitless while you perceive not}, [Aayahs 1 and 2].
Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen
Fataawa Noorun 'alad-Darb - Volume 2, Page 522, Question 414

#13 Salaam

• Brothers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,907 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

Refuting false claims regarding Al-Mawlid

First claim: "The celebration of Al-Mawlid is a way of expressing joy, which is something beneficial. It would benefit anybody who celebrates it, as it even benefits Abu Lahab (a disbelieving uncle of the Prophet Posted Image), due to the narration which states that a person saw Abu Lahab in his dream and asked him about his predicament. He (Abu Lahab) replied that his punishment in hell is reduced every Monday due to his rejoicing at the news of the birth of the Prophet Posted Image and also because he bought the freedom of the slave who brought him the good news."

Refutation: This narrationhas an unconnected chain of narrators which renders it inauthentic; therefore, it cannot be used as evidence in an argument. Even if we were to assume, for the sake of argument, that it is not a weak narration, it is still rejected for many other reasons:

· It was only a dream and dreams are never used as a basis to judge anything, let alone be used to establish a form of worship based on them.
· This contradicts the Quran.Allaah Says (what means): {And we will approach [i.e., regard] what they [i.e., the disbelievers] have done of deeds and make them as dust dispersed.} [Quran 25: 23]. Therefore, nobody will get any reward for their deeds unless they intend to get closer to Allaah by doing so, and a disbeliever will never attempt to do anything to get closer to Allaah as he does not believe in Him in the first place.

· History proves that this story was incorrect, and that Abu Lahab did not free any slave at that time. In fact, the slave in question was freed after the migration of the Prophet, Posted Image as mentioned in the books of Ibn 'Abdul Barr and Ibn Al-Jawzi,Posted Image.

Second claim: "The Prophet Posted Image himself glorified his birthday, due to his reply when asked why he fasted on Mondays: "I was born on this day and started receiving the revelation on it." [Muslim]. Therefore, he glorified his birthday by fasting on it, and this is a form of celebration."

Refutation: This doubt can be refuted from three different angles:

· The Prophet, Posted Image never regularly fasted on the twelfth of Rabee' Al-Awwal, which is the date that some claim is his birthday, rather, he fasted every Monday, and there are four Mondays in every month. Therefore, celebrating the twelfth of Rabee' Al-Awwal and designating certain acts of worship for it must be considered as an attempt to correct what is thought to be wrong or less than perfect on the part of the Prophet, Posted Image.
· The Prophet, Posted Image did not only fast on Mondays, but in addition, he would also fast on Thursdays, as he said: "The records of deeds are raised (to Allaah) every Monday and Thursday, therefore, I like to be fasting at this time.” [Tirmithi]. Moreover, the Prophet, Posted Image did not say that the reason for fasting on a Monday were due to his birth only, but also because of the fact that the records of everybody's deeds are raised to Allaah on these days. Therefore, celebrating Al-Mawlid with the excuse that the Prophet, Posted Image used to fast on a Monday is a misunderstanding and a gross exaggeration of the facts.
· The Prophet, Posted Image did not add any form of celebration to his fasting, as those who celebrate Al-Mawlid do. If people intend to express their gratitude to Allaah by observing Al-Mawlid and they justify it with the excuse that he used to fast on Mondays, then common sense dictates that they must completely imitate the Prophet, Posted Image in the way that he expressed gratitude to Allaah. Many people who celebrate Al-Mawlid do not fast regularly on Mondays and Thursdays as they deem it to be exhausting. On the contrary, they actually prepare and eat more food than usual as part of their celebration.

Third claim: "Rejoicing at this event is something recommended and requested of all of us by Allaah in the verse were He says that which translates as: {Say: 'In the bounty of Allaah and in His mercy – in that let them rejoice, it is better than what they accumulate.'} [Quran 10:58]. Allaah commanded us to rejoice in His mercy, and the Prophet Posted Image was the greatest of all His mercies, as Allaah says (what means): {And We have not sent you, [O Muhammad], except as a mercy to the worlds.} [Quran 21:107].

Refutation: The mercy mentioned in the first verse means other than what the celebrators of Al-Mawlid claim. Commenting on this verse, Abu Sa'eed Al-Khudri Posted Image said: "'The Bounty' refers to the Quran and 'The Mercy' is if one is from the people who adhere to it.'" Hilaal Ibn Yasaaf Posted Image said commenting on the verse: "'The Bounty' means Islam and 'The Mercy' means the Quran.'"

None of the Salaf interpreted this command of Allaah to mean rejoicing in the form of feasts and festivals. The mercy in the second verse is nothing other than the Quran and the Sunnah which the Prophet, Posted Image was sent with. Therefore, the true meaning of rejoicing due to Allaah sending us His Prophet, Posted Image must be to follow him completely and adhere to all his commands verbally and practically.

There can be no doubt that attempting to use this verse as an evidence for the permissibility of celebrating Al-Mawlid is applying it in a way other than how the Salaf, or pious first three generations, of Muslims, applied it. Ash-Shaatibi Posted Image said: "Any application from the later generations of a text which was not understood nor applied by our Salaf is unacceptable." Ibn 'Abdul Haadi, Posted Image said: "It is prohibited to interpret a verse from the Quran or a Hadeeth in any way other than the way our Salaf interpreted, applied and clarified it to the Ummah, because this would imply that they were ignorant of the truth and strayed away from it while the latter generations were guided to it. It is even worse if the interpretation of the latter generations opposes and contradicts that of the Salaf."

Indeed the understanding and interpretation of the texts of those who celebrate Al-Mawlid is misguidance and an innovation in itself. Ash-Shaatibi Posted Image said: "It is commonplace that the innovators and people of misguidance manipulate the Quran and Sunnah and apply it in a way that suits their needs. Also, they propagate these false ideas to the common people in order to confuse them.”

Fourth claim: Although we acknowledge that it is a Bid'ah to celebrate Al-Mawlid due to the fact that the different acts of worship performed during it were not collectively practiced at the time of the Prophet Posted Image we still hold that it is a good Bid'ah because these acts are mentioned in some general texts individually. So we accept that it is a Bid'ah in the sense that it is a new phenomenon, but not regarding all its details because these did exist individually at the time of the Prophet Posted Image.

Refutation: The presence of the necessity of establishing a certain act of worship at the time of the Prophet, Posted Image plus the absence of any preventing factors, in addition to the fact that the Prophet, Posted Image did not do it, are all factors which determine that celebrating Al-Mawlid is a Bid'ah.
A Bid'ah can never be deemed as good, even if there are texts that generally recommend the innovative acts performed for other times and places. To illustrate this point, the remaining companions of the Prophet, Posted Image condemned and rejected Marwaan Ibn Al-Hakam Posted Image when he innovated of a new Adhaan, or call for prayer, for the 'Eed prayer. This was despite the fact that the Adhaan already existed for the five daily prayers and so was not something entirely new. Likewise, it would be an innovation if someone were to pray at a specific time of the day or the week, a certain number of optional prayers. This is because although praying is an act which is legislated and the Islamic texts recommend it, specifying a time and a set number of prayers with the intention of pleasing Allaah is an innovation if specific supportive evidences to prove the legitimacy of the specified time, day and number of prayers are not given.

Once an act is proven to be a Bid'ah, it can never be deemed of as good because the Prophet, Posted Image gave a comprehensive statement saying: "Every Bid'ah (innovation) is misguidance" [Ahmad, Tirmithi and others].

Shaykh Al-Islaam Ibn Taymiyyah Posted Image said: "If something is called a Bid'ah, yet was proven to be good according to evidences from the Sharee'ah, then it must be one of two things:

1) It is not a Bid'ah by the Islamic definition but rather linguistically (i.e. something abandoned and then newly revived) like the saying of 'Umar ibn Al-Khattaab Posted Image: "Good Bid'ah" when he observed that the people had gathered behind one Imaam to lead them in their Taraaweeh prayers in congregation during Ramadhaan".

2) It is a special case which is exempted from the general texts because it has a specific evidence, but the general text still applies to every other case other than the special one (i.e. nobody is permitted to use this special case as an excuse to oppose the general text and innovate new things due to it)." He Posted Image also said: "It is well known that any form of worship which was not established by either the Prophet Posted Image or his companions, or shown by the trustworthy scholars to have a firm foundation, is rejected."

Ibn Rajab, Posted Image said: "The description of some of the Salaf about some matters being 'good Bid'ahs' are always in the linguistic sense of the term and never the religious one, like for example, the saying of 'Umar ibn Al-Khattaab Posted Image: "Good Bid'ah" when he observed that the people had gathered behind one Imaam to lead them in their Taraaweeh prayers in congregation during Ramadhaan. Praying Taraaweeh in congregation was practiced by the Prophet Posted Image and all that these people were doing was simply reviving an act which already existed, so the usage of the term here must have been purely linguistic."

Fitfth claim: Al-Mawlid encourages people to ask Allaah to send salutations upon His Messenger Posted Image and exalt his Posted Image mention, which is something mandatory upon all Muslims, as Allaah Says (what means): {Indeed Allaah confers blessing upon the Prophet, and his angels [ask Him to do so]. O you who have believed, ask [Allaah to confer] blessing upon him and ask [Allaah to grant him] peace.} [Quran 33:56] Therefore, anything which accomplishes that which is required Islamically is itself a requirement, such as Al-Mawlid.

Refutation: The thing that would really make a person implement the command mentioned in that verse and frequently mention of name of the Prophet Posted Image is if they were to live their life studying the Sunnah of the Prophet Posted Image and applying it to all areas of their life. In reality, the celebration of Al-Mawlid once a year is nothing but a practical call to desert and abandon the Sunnah of the Prophet Posted Image and the asking of Allaah to send salutations upon him Posted Image and exalt his Posted Image mention - except during this yearly festival. One only has to look at the lives of the people who propagate the celebration of Al-Mawlid to confirm this. These people are the furthest from applying the Sunnah in their lives; they seem to think that just because they have celebrated this yearly festival, they have fulfilled their duties towards the Prophet Posted Image. They also think that those who do not celebrate this event are not giving the Prophet Posted Image his Posted Image due right. Reality testifies that the truth is the opposite of this, and that those who celebrate Al-Mawlid are actually the ones who abandon the Sunnah of the Prophet Posted Image and are the ones who are the furthest from its guidance. They do not realise that the true meaning of rejoicing at Allaah sending us His Prophet Posted Image is by rejoicing with that which he Posted Image came with, and that following him Posted Image is the only way for this joy to materialise and have a real effect. Allaah Says (what means): "Say, [O Muhammad], 'If you should love Allaah, then follow me, [so] Allaah will love you."Ibn Katheer Posted Image said commenting upon this verse: "This verse is a ruling against anyone who claims to love Allaah while not following the Prophet's Sunnah that they are a liar - until they follow the way of the Prophet Muhammad Posted Image totally, in word and deed." Al-Hasan Al-Basri Posted Image said: "Some people made the claim that they love Allaah, so He tested the claim with this verse."

Sixth claim: If Jumu'ah (Friday) has a special virtue and is honoured due to the fact that Aadam Posted Image was born on that day, as the Prophet Posted Image said: "… And Aadam was born on it (Jumu'ah)", then surely the Prophet's Posted Image birthday is worthier because he Posted Image is the most honourable of all the Prophets.

Refutation: The virtues of Jumu'ah are well established; it is a weekly holiday and a celebration for the Muslims. Although Aadam Posted Image was born on Jumu'ah as the Prophet Posted Image said: "The best of your days is the day of Jumu'ah, and Aadam was born on it."It is a lie upon the Prophet Posted Image to claim that Islam glorified and honoured Jumu'ah because of the birth of Aadam Posted Image on that day. Those who make such a claim only do so to use it as a foundation for their argument of celebrating Al-Mawlid.

We need to bear in mind that the same Islamic texts (the Quran and Sunnah) which glorified and honoured the day of Jumu'ah are those that intentionally and deliberately did not mention anything about, nor honour the birthday of the Prophet Muhammad Posted Image. Therefore, giving the same ruling to both events, when Islam did not legislate for one and did so for the other, is an extremely evil, corrupt and false double-standard. Allaah Says (what means): {This day I have perfected for you your religion and completed my favour upon you and have approved for you Islam as a religion.} [Quran 5:3]

The Prophet Posted Image forbade singling out Jumu'ah for fasting or optional night prayers (Qiyaam) when he Posted Image said: "Do not single out the night of Jumu'ah for Qiyaam, nor its day with fasting unless you habitually fast it." [Muslim]

Seventh Claim: Al-Mawlid includes things which are Islamically praised, recommended and encouraged like charity, the mentioning of Allaah's names and praise and glorification of the Prophet Posted Image.

Refutation: Although Al-Mawlid does include these praised and encouraged matters, it is still an unfounded gathering for an unlawful reason. Acts of worship must be justified by the Sharee’ah, otherwise they will be rejected by Allaah due to them not coinciding with His commands and that of His Messenger Posted Image. The Prophet Posted Image did not legislate for his Posted Image birthday to be a day to gather for prayer, charity or recitations of poems of praise, some of which contain Shirk, like the famous Al-Burdah written by Al-Booseeri which says in some of its verses:

"You are the most honourable of all creation

I have none but you to resort to when adversities befall me

If you don’t rescue me on the Day of Resurrection from your grace

Then my feet will definitely slip into the Hellfire

From your generosity you have provided this world and the Hereafter

Your know what is in the preserved tablet and you know the divine decree"

Allaah Says: (what means):"Indeed Allaah [alone] has knowledge of the Hour and sends down the rain and knows what is in the wombs. And no soul perceives what it will earn tomorrow, and no soul perceives in what land it will die. Indeed, Allaah is Knowing and Acquainted."[Quran 31:34] Ibn Mas’ood Posted Image said: "Your Prophet Posted Image was given access to all knowledge (as needed) except the absolute knowledge of the unknown and the unseen." - Then he recited the aforementioned verse.

In Islam, anything that leads to a prohibited act it itself prohibited. Although the Islamic texts recommend charity, mentioning the name of Allaah and asking Allaah to send salutations upon the Prophet Posted Image and exalting his Posted Image mentioning, they do not state that people are to exaggerate in praising him Posted Image to the extent of attributing knowledge of the unknown and unseen to him Posted Image – which is knowledge that is exclusive to Allaah and a form of Shirk if someone were to attribute this knowledge to anyone besides Him.

Eighth claim: Some scholars have recommended Al-Mawlid, and Muslims all around the world have celebrated it throughout history. Therefore, it must be celebrated based on the saying of Ibn Mas'ood Posted Image: "Anything which the Muslims collectively deem as good is good and anything which the Muslims collectively deem as bad is bad."

Refutation: If we are to understand from this statement of Ibn Mas'ood Posted Image that 'collectively' means the consensus of the scholars of the Muslim nation, then this is of course the correct understanding, because they never collectively agreed on anything that was misguidance. However, the notion that the Muslim nation as a whole are united in celebrating Al-Mawlid is a fallacy, in fact the opposite is true. The struggle against this Bid'ah began from the very first day that it was initiated by the misguided Baatinee (those with concealed beliefs) rulers. After that, in the seventh Hijri century, Sultan Irbil spread this misguidance even further. What made this Bid'ah spread as far and wide as it did was the fact that was propagated by the rulers, who hade complete control over their subjects.

The fact that many people in different countries take part in this Bid'ah can never be taken as evidence to justify it and make it Islamically permissible, because the truth is not related to the numbers who adhere to it. Allaah Says (what means): {And if you obey most of those upon the earth, they will mislead you from the way of Allaah.}[Quran 6:116] Moreover, the Prophet Posted Image described the victorious Muslim group which will supported by Allaah and granted victory to be very small in number as stated in the book of Muslim.

If the people who propagate Al-Mawlid were to reflect on that saying of Ibn Mas'ood Posted Image they would find that it is actually evidence against themselves. This is because the consensus mentioned refers to that of the Companions Posted Image of the Prophet Posted Image. This is the very reason why these people deliberately delete the beginning and misinterpret the end of the narration. For the sake of completion, here is the complete narration: Ibn Mas'ood Posted Image said: "Allaah looked into the hearts of the people and found that the heart of Muhammad Posted Image was the finest, so He chose him Posted Image to be His beloved and sent him Posted Image with His Message. Then Allaah looked into the hearts of everybody else and found that the hearts of Muhammad's Posted Image Companions Posted Image were the finest (from the rest), so He made them succeed His Prophet Posted Image and made them fight for the sake of His religion. Therefore, anything which the Muslims collectively deem to be good is good and anything which the Muslims collectively deem to be bad is bad." [Ahmad]

As-Sindi Posted Image said: "It is obvious that the Companions Posted Image of the Prophet Posted Image are the ones referred to as 'the Muslims' in this narration. Therefore, the consensus must be that of the Companions Posted Image and the consensus of others cannot be included, let alone the agreement of a single group of people on one opinion …"

When Ibn Mas'oodand Abu Moosa Al-Ash'ari, Posted Image both,condemned circles in which the name of Allaah was mentioned collectively, they did so due to it going against the practice of the Companions Posted Image of the Prophet Posted Image and therefore being a bad practice. This is despite the fact that generally, mentioning the name of Allaah is a recommended act of worship, but these circles were an innovative way of doing so.Ibn Mas'ood Posted Image said to some of the people in these circles: "What is this that I see you all doing?" they replied: 'We are counting how many times we say Allaahu Akbar, Laa Ilaaha Illallaah and Subhaanallaah with these stones." He replied: "Woe to you! How fast it is that you lead yourselves to destruction, the Companions Posted Image of the Prophet Posted Image are still many in number around you (to ask for religious instructions) and the Prophet Posted Image just passed away (i.e. he Posted Image has not been gone long enough for you to forget his Posted Image teachings)." Then Ibn Mas'ood Posted Image said: "I swear by Him in Whose hands my soul is, you are either following a way (which you think is) more guided than that of Muhammad Posted Image or you are initiating a way of misguidance." They replied: "But we only intended to do what is good." Ibn Mas'ood Posted Image replied: "How often it is that those who intend to do good miss out on it.' It was never reported that any of the Companions Posted Image of the Prophet Posted Image held an opinion opposite to that of Ibn Mas'ood and Abu Moosa Posted Image regarding the condemnation of those who gathered for the collective mentioning of Allaah's name. If all the Companions Posted Image regarded that as evil, then what would they have thought of those who gather to read Quran collectively during Al-Mawlid, which also includes other activities that are clear forms of Shirk?

http://www.islamweb....icles&id=150002

Edited by Salaam, 02 February 2012 - 08:08 PM.

#14 Salaam

• Brothers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,907 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:14 PM

#15 Salaam

• Brothers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,907 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Original Skin by CrustyGeek/ReSkinned by Dumbledore for TPPSkinning.com

All communications made available as part of this forum and any opinions, advice, statements, views or other information expressed are solely provided by, and the responsibility of, the person posting such communication and not of 7cgen.com or any of it's administration team. Click here for full disclaimer.