Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home3/c7gen/public_html/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_20/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/c7gen/public_html/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_20/skin_topic.php:909) in /home3/c7gen/public_html/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home3/c7gen/public_html/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_20/skin_topic.php:909) in /home3/c7gen/public_html/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127
Nationalism/Patriotism in Islam - 7th Century Generation

* * * * - 12 votes

Nationalism/Patriotism in Islam

142 replies to this topic

#1 7Cgen

Admin Annoucements

• Administration
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 01:25 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

At a time when Muslim youth are torn apart from each other on the basis of race, nation and skin colour, it is easy to forget the punishment Allah promises us for these sins. Race riots in Sydney, and Bradford, England, bring to the fore the burning issue of nationality and patriotism. Brother Faraz Amin (Australia) explores…

Nationalism is one of those things that everyone goes through at some stage, unless Allah's will favours him/her. It’s a fad, a cool fashion, because its supposedly meant to give you identity and some sort of connection to those of a similar background.

That statement certainly holds true for me, someone who was proud of being an Indian at one stage in my life, to the extent that I would take a Indian flag to my school and wave it around during the 2003 Cricket World Cup, may Allah forgive me and prevent others from doing the same! You soon realise why nationalism and patriotism are completely ridiculous notions. Next year, in 2004, our brothers and sisters in Gujarat were butchered by Hindu-Indian mobs. Sisters were burnt alive, brothers castrated, babies doused and torched. At such times, one really begins to wonder how one can have any connection to such people, whose actions were justified by revenge and for the sake of “national interest”.

However, not every Muslim youth’s country goes through such turmoil, and so not everyone begins to question the notion of patriotism through his or her own thought process. Often, it isn’t civil war that makes us realise, but a simple consideration of what Islam has to say about this issue.

Posted Image

If you think about it logically, there is no way that nationalism can EVER be an adequate way of organising society. It is based ENTIRELY on secularism, and the nations that were created by the UN since its inception. It isn’t natural, but artificial and imposed. Man-made desires and flaws show when, despite this connection apparently being a “strong one” (as we are constantly told), nations erupt yearly into civil wars, people within nations have no sense of REAL brotherhood and stab each other (metaphorically) over the smallest of things, and when self-interest comes first beyond all else. There is no sense of real responsibility to each other (other than at war, a lame and rare excuse for a common feeling of patriotism), and this supports the fact that you judge a connection’s effectiveness when there is peace. THAT is when the real effectiveness of any connection will become apparent. Loose ideas of moral goodness aren’t comprehensive and don’t lead to unity in society. And as we all know as Muslims, we care about our brothers and sisters from other countries whether oppressed or not; we cry for them and fight for them; and the strong in us would even die for them, peacetime or not. All these point to one undeniable fact: Islam is the only suitable and strong enough creed to be used as a way to connect with others. The brotherhood and sisterhood it engenders in us is far stronger than allegiance to a lame piece of cloth. It is far stronger than the token singing of a national anthem at sporting events and assemblies at school, where many students, born and bred in that nation, give it respect by playing with their phones and mutating it to see how many f words can be fit into it.

Nationalism isn’t only a weak connection, but its impact on the world has been devastating. In the case of wars caused by nationalistic feeling, literally tens of millions have been killed over the last century, if not hundreds (as some historians claim). The patriotic feeling leaves people with little care about the rest of the world, other than that which they experience naturally, as seen in the case of poverty in Africa. While people over the world are often nice enough to donate to charity and make what difference they can, an act we must appreciate as a truly generous one, the oft-heard nationalistic-economic sentiments of these being “other countries that we have no imperative to help” simply goes to show that this connection also rears its ugly head when it comes to helping the rest of the world (a time which truly tests how good such a connection is for human beings!)

While we can go on talking logically forever, it is clear from Allah’s holy book, the Quran, and the sayings of the prophet Mohammad (PBUH) that patriotism and nationalism are big no-nos. Whether we WANT to be patriotic or not doesn’t even come into consideration – once Islam forbids it, we naturally reject the idea.

The Prophet Muhammad SAW said, as collected in the books of Abu Dawood:

He is not one of us who calls for ‘asabiyyah, (nationalism) or who fights for ‘asabiyyah or who dies for ‘asabiyyah.

Another rather scary Hadith on the matter is recorded in Mishkat al-Masabih, where the Prophet SAW says:

He who calls for ‘asabiyyah is as if he bit his father’s genitals

Islam, they say, is the natural, logical religion. As we’ve just seen, logic dictates that nationalism can brings harm to the world, while benefit is restricted to small groups of people and prosperous nations. Islam tells us to look beyond all this, and to unite as one, based on Islam. The Messenger of Allah (saw) also said:

The Muslims are like a body, if one part of the body hurts, the rest of the body will also suffer

The problems of the Muslims today can be put down to a lot of things, the chief among them being a lack of spiritual awareness and the lack of unity. We should ALL realise that there is no way our Ummah can be united again while we are patriotic to Lebanon, Pakistan or Iraq. Our responsibility in life is to carry out Allah’s orders, and the order to connect with others on the basis of Islam is much stronger than any other method attempting to give cohesion to society.

We are the Muslim youth. It is our time to stand up and be counted for, Insha Allah. Brothers and sisters, leave your pride for the land of your birth, for your colour, for your tribal lineage, and embrace Islam in your lives. Love your brothers and sisters for the sake of Allah and Allah only.

As I said earlier, we all experience it some way at some stage. It is hard to comprehend the above ahadith; they are shocking indeed, but go to show just how severe a sin patriotism is regarded to be. We pray that Allah gives us the sense and Hidayah to make a change in the way we think. AMEEN!

Posted Image

#2 born-2-die

Boulder

• Brothers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:59 PM

great article! well written
ill post more thoughts after school

#3 Anasūrimbor Moėnghus

Anasūrimbor is just a title, call me Moėnghus.

• Brothers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:48 AM

i cant believe this only got one reply!
this is seriously a very very good article, and as of yet no-one has taken notice of it! (talha excpeted). and to think, faraz himself spent hours on it making it appealing and very topical, and nothing.

oh well. well done for such an eloquent article. hopefully the muslims who harbour nationalism reads this, and insha'Allah changes their view.

#4 born-2-die

Boulder

• Brothers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:42 AM

well 80 - odd reads. i guess ppl must be standing back in shock horror! lol!!
yeh v good article; proabably a matter of time.

#5 brotown

Boulder

• Brothers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 05:10 AM

“He who calls for ‘asabiyyah is as if he bit his father’s genitals”

ARE U FOR REAL?!
my goodness that is the most shocking saying of the prophet that i have EVER HEARD. is it authentic? of course ill believe it if it is.

It is far stronger than the token singing of a national anthem at sporting events and assemblies at school, where many students, born and bred in that nation, give it respect by playing with their phones and mutating it to see how many f words can be fit into it.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!1
so true it is.
happened ALL THE TIME at my high!
its crazy.
hard hitting article there. nice word to the whole admins crew. the newlsetter is a real beauty!

#6 Low Rider

Stone

• Sisters
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 05:15 AM

"good???"
that was PERFECT!

Masha'Allah n Ameen!

#7 richardrli

Pebble

• Brothers
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 05:53 AM

Typical Faraz work, well researched and beautifully written. However, nationalism/patriotism isn't all bad. It has in some cases encourage lazy groups of people suddenly stand up and say 'we have to do something if we want to survive in this world.' It has also gives initiave to races of people to have something cause to fight for. But I agree with most of the things said.

#8 fazza

Meteroid

• Administration
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 07:56 AM

View Postrichardrli, on Dec 8 2006, 04:53 AM, said:

Typical Faraz work, well researched and beautifully written. However, nationalism/patriotism isn't all bad. It has in some cases encourage lazy groups of people suddenly stand up and say 'we have to do something if we want to survive in this world.' It has also gives initiave to races of people to have something cause to fight for. But I agree with most of the things said.

salam alaikum richard
well bro you've got to remember that standing up for its very sake is incorrect. its like saying we should do someting for the mere sake of doing it, which is certainly not the type of thinking we as muslims should employ!

just because its a way of unitiing people doesnt make it a LEGITIMATE, islamically correct way of doing so.
And so, yes, you can talk to me about examples and specifics, and even counter my thing about civil wars (which i guess was a bit exaggerated) but at the end of the day, if you look at this in principle then its all rotten and wrong from an islamic perspective.

yeh people might become active and un "lazy", but the benefit of weight loss pales in comparison to obeying the commands of allah and his prophet!

That, of course, comes first before all else, and that is exactly what we are talking about here today. Fighting for something for its very sake is wrong. Its only if its right that we can support it.
and in this case, right it certainly aint :)

"good???"
that was PERFECT!

Masha'Allah n Ameen!

jzk sis
but perfect?! whoah, i think NOT!
ws

#9 Shifa

Meteroid

• Sisters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,166 posts
  • Interests:Ants.<br /><br />The life of an ant starts with an egg. <br /><br />If the egg is fertilized, the ant will be female (diploid).<br /><br />If the egg is not fertilized, it will be male (haploid).<br /><br />If the egg is 1/4 fertilized, it will be a PODe (madloid).<br /><br />If the egg is 1/2 fertilized, it will be a Rambles (twinloid).<br /><br />If the egg is 3/4 fertilized, it will be a Yazzmo (cuteloid).<br /><br />If the egg is 6/3 fertilized, it will be a Losty (Sininiloid).

Posted 08 December 2006 - 07:58 AM

erm, the only reason i didnt post is bc i didnt know wat to say.. it made me feel old.

#10 fazza

Meteroid

• Administration
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 07:59 AM

View PostShifa, on Dec 8 2006, 06:58 AM, said:

erm, the only reason i didnt post is bc i didnt know wat to say.. it made me feel old.

in what way sister?
please expand insha allah :)

#11 - Mini Sayf -

7cg Activity Police

• Brothers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:08 AM

Salams...
Very good thred.
Yeah i heard the SINFULL punishments of being nationlistic.
Veyr very bad.
that picture of the Sydney riots,is that a brother getting bashed???
That is really sad.How can people care so much about there race and culture,the only thing that should be concerned with is your a muslim.
Nothing more...
In the corrupted country of India,people die for the country,people die for india being muslims. That hadith man...i am shocked after reading it.
Post in elaboration later...
wasalam for now

#12 ~ The Revivor ~

Boulder

• Brothers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts
  • Interests:Programming, Games, Politics, and some other Cherry!

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:14 AM

Yes Alhumdulilah, this is an excellent article, a lot of my muslim brothers,
over the internet and at skool are really Nationalistics, such as Paki pride or
bangladeshi pride, this would be really good to show to them!

#13 Shifa

Meteroid

• Sisters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,166 posts
  • Interests:Ants.<br /><br />The life of an ant starts with an egg. <br /><br />If the egg is fertilized, the ant will be female (diploid).<br /><br />If the egg is not fertilized, it will be male (haploid).<br /><br />If the egg is 1/4 fertilized, it will be a PODe (madloid).<br /><br />If the egg is 1/2 fertilized, it will be a Rambles (twinloid).<br /><br />If the egg is 3/4 fertilized, it will be a Yazzmo (cuteloid).<br /><br />If the egg is 6/3 fertilized, it will be a Losty (Sininiloid).

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:18 AM

ill tell u later

#14 Lost sista

Asteroid

• Sisters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:29 PM

#15 Mukhlisah

Musaafira

• Sisters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,926 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 04:43 PM

did you want to say anything lost sista? :unsure:

anyway, im just thinking of the bangladesh national song and its really nationalistic, they used to make us sing it in school. i think its printed in the front of all the books they learn from in primary school.

Br. Faraz your article was fantastic, i loved the way you finished it off aswell ..mashallah :blush:

We are the Muslim youth. It is our time to stand up and be counted for, Insha Allah. Brothers and sisters, leave your pride for the land of your birth, for your colour, for your tribal lineage, and embrace Islam in your lives. Love your brothers and sisters for the sake of Allah and Allah only.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

Original Skin by CrustyGeek/ReSkinned by Dumbledore for TPPSkinning.com

All communications made available as part of this forum and any opinions, advice, statements, views or other information expressed are solely provided by, and the responsibility of, the person posting such communication and not of 7cgen.com or any of it's administration team. Click here for full disclaimer.